ACN Latitudes Forums

Allergic reaction to Alinia?

My son started taking a combination of Cedax and Alinia on August 11 with no adverse reaction (except the standard herxing) to either. This evening he took his evening dose of Alinia with his evening dose of Nystatin. About an hour and a half later while we were eating dinner he said his throat was scratchy and he started itching. About 15-20 minutes after that his whole body was red and he was head to toe scratching with intense itching he also got light headed and felt like vomiting (but didn't). I gave him Benadryl and 20-30 minutes later he was better with only minor itching and color returned to almost normal. Could he have had an allergic reaction to Alinia even though he's been taking it daily for 20 days? Or to Nystatin but he's been on that daily for 2 months.

He is a pretty allergic kid but doesn't get random allergic reactions like this. Has anyone else had this problem with Alinia? I'm scared to give it again tomorrow to see if it was in fact the Alinia he reacted to - I know 2nd reactions to something are usually worse. But it would be a bummer if it wasn't the Alinia and I never know. Just seems strange to have a reaction to something after taking it for 20 days.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!!

Our son is on Tinizidol and Diflican rounds and we are told to absolutely NOT give together. One round of anti B and then wait a few days and start the ani fungal. Call the pharmacist or the prescribing doctor and they should absolutely know!! I believe they are NOT to be given together as well, If that is the case, you most definitely should have been informed and I would let my doctor know for sure!!! Hang in there! :)

Bigmighty and HopeinHIM, I have never heard of needing to keep abx and antifungals separate, or even Alinia and Nystatin specifically. My son has taken Nystatin at the same time as a variety of abx, and I'm on Nystatin and Alinia right now. Did your doctors give you a reason? I'm very curious.

Bigmighty and HopeinHIM, I have never heard of needing to keep abx and antifungals separate, or even Alinia and Nystatin specifically. My son has taken Nystatin at the same time as a variety of abx, and I'm on Nystatin and Alinia right now. Did your doctors give you a reason? I'm very curious.

She says they contraindicate. I didnt probe further. But I did ask pharmacy and they said probably too harsh on liver together.

My LLMD specifically instructed me to give the Alinia and Nystatin at the same time. The thinking is to give the "killers" at breakfast and dinner - these are the abx, anti fungals and antivirals together and then give the "good stuff" after school and before bed - this is the probiotics and supplements. It worked well for us until the allergic reaction but I'm still not convinced the reaction was from the Alinia. Too scared to challenge it though since the second reaction could be much worse than the first one.