ACN Latitudes Forums

7 y/o diagnosed ADD & Global Developmental Delay Today

Need some advice on next steps. My DS was seen by a dev ped today and was diagnosed with global dev delay and ADD. I explained that we've been seeing naturopath and MAPS doc who did hair mineral testing and blood work. DS is positive for coxsackie, lead, aluminum, arsenic, cadmium. He had strep infections, scarlett fever and hand, foot, mouth infections. Was always sickly as toddler and caught everything going around day care. Chronic ear infections, asthma, allergies, eczema........all classic signs of inflammation. Shortly after strep, scarlett fever and hand foot mouth he developed weird behaviors (finger tics, throat clearing, a bit of OCD)......he was 4. Explained all of this to dev ped but he wasn't buying any of that. He just said we may never know what is causing his delays.

At the time I had no idea what was going on and thought he was stimming and perhaps had Autism....because he has always been speech delayed. Trip to a dev ped then ruled out Autism and honestly we had been in limbo trying to help him until the blood work. But even after that, the MAPS doc didn't say it was possibly PANS she just prescribed antibiotics and green olive leaf. I thought it worked but as he gets older the symptoms are getting worse especially the ADHD and lack of focus. I'm leaning towards putting him on meds to help with the attention/focus because he's falling behind in school. My hesitation is that we are treating the coxsackie and gut issues now with BRAVO yogurt and he's doing biofeedback with Naturopath. I've seen some definite changes in his awareness and his language is improving.

Should I put him on meds for the ADD until we can get the virus and gut issues cleared up? Has anyone had the same problem? I would love to hear from anyone with a DS with the same issues.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi momonmission, I was speaking with a doctor yesterday about kids with ADD/ADHD and she mentioned that many respond well to a prescription treatment for candida like Nystatin to help the gut issues--not just relying on diet and nutrients for candida. That's something you might want to consider if it hasn't been tried (?). If your son has a systemic yeast infection, which sounds very possible given his history, it can be a big help.