ACN Latitudes Forums

Regession after tonsilectomy

Hi.

I am new in this and i would like to share what i am going through with my son and also ask if there is any clinic or doctor in Europe who can diagnose and treat P.a.n.d.a.s.

My son was a happy social kid until the age of 6. At 5 he started behaving a bit strange. He had fear especially at night saying that he has bad thoughts and could not sleep. Sometimes during daytime he would also say." Mum iam afraid of myself because i think of bad things"

He often had tonsil infections and was on Augmentin and Zithromax.

We decided on tonsilectomy at the age of 6 because he had also sleeping apnea.

After the tonsilectomy we took home a different boy. He was full of fear. He would not go out of the house , would sit on our laps for hours and even afraid to go to the toillet. He was hallucinating and was crying for hours with no reason.

He would not speak much but was holding his head crying and asking for help.

Slowly he developed sensory problems a lot of anxiety , pulling his hair biting his hands and he has frequent urination which he cannot control also vocal tics and cannot find the words to speak.

His regression is very big. The doctor's diagnose was autism.

How can a child become like this at this age and so abrubt??

I live in a small island in Cyprus and no one had heard of P.A.N.D.A.S

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Hi, I don't have any info for you, but I know there are a few families from Europe who've posted here in the past. Two ways to connect with them: 1) Do searches of this forum on words like Europe, UK, etc, and then PM those who are anywhere near you, and 2) start a new thread with a title that mentions where you are, and hopefully someone from your area of the world will respond.

Do you speak Greek? There is a Greek Cypriot rheumatologist in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania named Chris Derk 011 (215) 662-2638. I don't know if he treats PANDAS (I don't believe he does), but I think it would be a good start to speak with someone that speaks Greek in the medical community in America. I don't know about Cyprus but I do know that some Greek doctors are excellent, and then there are a whole lot that are terrible and say everything is just "psychological" or imaginary or whatever (einai matiasmeno to paidi!!!!) . I've dealt with this myself. Please do call him, or me directly at 011 215 450-1643. This is a cell phone number and I don't know if I can receive calls from abroad. Try it, and if you cannot contact me, please respond here. Good luck.

Edited by PIK

Thank you so much for your answers.

Yes i do speak Greek.

Please let me know what is the most appropriate time to call you.

Do you live in Philadelphia? Aplws yia na ipologisw tin diafora wras.

Efxaristw poli.