ACN Latitudes Forums

Food sesitivity drops

The Naturapath Dr sugested we try "drops" to reduce the reaction from problem foods our son has a reaction to. She said this will allow him to eat small amounts of the foods in question. Seeing she charged us $42.00 for a small bottle of L-Carnitine, I don't want to go to her for these drops. Does anyone know what she may be talking about? Is it just a digestive liquid that I may be able to get over the counter?

L-carnitine, an amino acid derivative, is found in nearly all cells of the body. L-carnitine transports long-chain fatty acids across the inner mitochondrial membranes in the mitochondria, where they are processed by beta-oxidation to produce biological energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate or ATP.

L-carnitine occurs naturally in animal products. Generally, only very small amounts of it are found in plants, with few exceptions, such as avocado and some fermented soy products, e.g. tempeh. L-carnitine is a chiral molecule. Its stereoisomer D-carnitine does not have the biological activity of L-carnitine and may even antagonize L-carnitine in its biological roles.

L-carnitine is synthesized in the human body, chiefly in the liver and kidneys, from the essential amino acids L-lysine and L-methionine. Niacin, vitamins B6 and C, and iron are involved in its biosynthesis. L-carnitine is described as a conditionally essential nutrient. This refers to certain conditions where exogenous L-carnitine may be required, such as in long-term parenteral nutrition, those on valproic acid therapy and possibly for the elderly.

L-carnitine is available in a few forms. Oral L-carnitine is available as a nutritional supplement and as a prescribed orphan drug treatment for primary and secondary L-carnitine deficiencies. Intravenous L-carnitine (levocarnitine) is available as a prescription orphan drug for the treatment of primary and secondary L-carnitine deficiencies. Acetyl-L-carnitine, another delivery form of both L-carnitine and acetyl groups, is available as a nutritional supplement.

You can find this at most vitamins shops and body building places /gyms. Normaly people use it before they go and pump weights but it has helped to reduce tics issues as so many people have mentioned on this forum. 42$ is kinda expensive i got a 250 ml bottle for around 20$ from my vitamin shop.

Hi Lenny,

I'd be interested to know what the "drops" are too? Our naturo has never mentioned this type of thing. Please let us know what it is and how it works. (I have a feeling of what it might be made of, so am curious.)

P.S. We also buy some products from our naturo, and yes it can add up, but I feel confident that their products are probably the best as far as purity and potency. If they help my son, then its well worth it in my opinion.

Faith

Hi lmcgill,

From my knowledge, this is what the drops for problem foods would be. They would be drops containing small amounts of the certain problem food antigens. The drops are placed on the tongue. It's just a substitute for allergy shots. I chose allergy shots because my insurance pays for them but won't cover the drops. I'd still suggest checking with your doctor about this, but this is what I know about the drops.

Carolyn

Enzymes have been noted not only to help with the digestion of food but with healing of the gut as well. This site has had people who spent alot of time with supplemental enzymes and I remember reading Houston as a brand name being used. We have no experience with this for it was always our plan to use the enzymes after the mercury was removed.