ACN Latitudes Forums

Cefdinir VS Amox

My 8 year old daughter started having tics overnight last summer. We went from doctor to doctor and they kept telling us tourettes. Her doctor then decided to test your ASO and it came back high. He started her on Cefdinir and within days almost all tics were gone and by day 7 they were completely gone. She was on the medication for 10 days. 1 day after we stopped the medication they started coming back and within a week they were back to being as bad as they were before. He said it was bad to do Cefdinir again and he did Amoxicillin. 10 days into Amoxicillin it has helped some but nothing like Cefdinir.

Do you think I should ask to go back to Cefdinir? Could it have been a weird coincidence?

I'd ask for cefdinr. My son was on it once for a long time while waiting for an oral surgery date. Maybe a 3rd antibiotic worth trying...meanwhile, you'll need to figure out if there is a reservoir of infection (like tonsils) and where things stand with inflammation...

• 3 weeks later...

You have to go with what works...although I agree with Sirena about trying a 3rd option.

Most PANDAS parents don't find Amoxicillin to be as clinically effective as Azith, Augmentin, or the cephalosporins (like Cefdinir).

My son is on augmentin but only for 28 days. Our doctor said to get tonsils out then do ivig. But insurance wont pay for any as ent stated tonsils have not had sufficient infections to meet insurance guidelines. The augmentin is really helping but Dr says he wont continue past 28 days as long term use is not supported. And we really dont have the 18k for ivig-thats what he says we should do. Is there a midwest doctor who will prescribe longterm abx?