ACN Latitudes Forums

Experience with Hypnosis in Tourette's, especially Dr. Lazarus

AprilP

My son who is 11 has had Tourette's since he was 4. Both vocal and motor tics and typical waxing and waning symptoms. So far it's been mostly mild at times with only a few severe spells. We're in the worst period ever since he now has a screaming tic for the last several weeks. It's not going away and he can't go to school or be in public right now until it gets better. I am very well-informed (in addition to a mom I happen to also be a physician) and have tried nearly everything out there over the years as far as supplements, diet changes, nutrition, neurofeedback and environmental therapy. Mostly his tics seem to "wane" when they choose to no matter what so it's hard to determine if treatments are working or if it's the natural cycle of improvement.

This spell is severe and has lasted much longer than any others and I am looking to more advanced/serious treatments. I specifically would like to know if anyone has experience with Dr. Jeff Lazarus in California? Everything I've read about his treatment is positive on this site and on other reviews. I've talked with him already and he seems to really believe he can help. If he could it would be amazing right now and for the future for my son.

The problem is we live in Louisiana and will have to travel there for a minimum of a week. This is expensive. Not to mention his therapy costs THOUSANDS of dollars for just the one week. Based on his estimate it would be over $5,000 up front and that doesn't even include any travel expenses. Also he requires both parents to be present initially which adds to cost and to stress for my son since we're divorced. AND travel would be a nightmare - I can't imagine the plane rides with him screaming every 20-30 seconds.

Bottom line - I need to decide if it's worth the stress and the time and the cost. I'm willing to do anything but I don't want to invest this much foolishly either.

Thoughts from someone who has specific experience with this doctor or hypnosis in general and might have advice for me to help me decide to take the plunge?

Thank you very much in advance.

AprilP

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we saw Dr. Lazarus. My ddwas young at the time (6 or 7) and it did not work for us. If your child is very bothered by his tics and truly wants to do something about it then it may work for you. The kids are given things to do at home to practice the technique. If you have to monitor and encourage your child it won't work. The internal motivation is what is needed to be successful. I was also turned off by how expensive the therapy is now IMO. When we started it was half that cost. I'm not sure why Dr. Lazarus has increased his prices so much. It is disheartening for those people that could benefit from the treatment yet can't because of the financial burden. There aren't many that specialize in this field and it is just unfortunate that it is so costly as studies are showing some success.

I wish you much luck should you try. I have been there wondering if I should try something or not. I know how hard it is and I'm sorry for the pain I know it causes.

All the best.

Thank you very much for sharing. This specific advice is my favorite thing about this site and this forum. I too am concerned about the price to see Dr. Lazarus which is very, very high. Although I believe my son wants his tics to be better I don't think he has the motivation and dedication right now to pursue this. I've decided to go another route for now. Anyone else please respond, though, because I believe this may be a very good option for some and I might consider it again in the future.

• 5 years later...