ACN Latitudes Forums

Best ABX for Mycoplasma?

Is there a typical best antibiotic for treating myco pneumoniae? I have been on only the fairly common ABX before (zpack, etc) and noticed no change (except typically a worsening of symptoms - likely due to changes in gut bacteria?). Would appreciate any input! :)

We are dealing with high mycoplasma for 2 of our children. We have been on clarithromycin for a couple months, azithromycin for a month and doxycycline for one round. We take curcumin for inflammation, an initial steroid burst, and supplements for immune support. We are currently on fluconazole for yeast. We are better but not 100%. We still do have mycoplasma though. We are thinking about trying Dr. Horowitz's protocol of multiple antibiotics for bacteria without a cell wall. You can google him (he is a lyme doctor) and he has several presentations on youtube. One is "Why am I not getting better?" and "Herbs, Hormones and Heavy Metals." There are a couple different presentations on "Why am I not Getting Better" topic. The presentation on Herbs, Hormones and Heavy Metals is fabulous also. Something to consider looking into.

Thank you MyLighthouse! Good to hear what you're trying - did it seem any of those ABX worked better than others? Have u retested myco numbers to see if/how much they've gone down? Appreciate ur input!

PANS came on the scene for our DS back in late 2013 with sudden onset of intrusive thoughts OCD. Tested neg for strep in both swab and blood tests. Finally came to find that myco p was really high and started on azith which seemed to initially bring relief quickly. Stayed on it for several months and have used it for some flares during the past couple of years. My son, 14, is now having a real tough time with some scrupulosity ocd thoughts and the azith seems to be making it worse this time. Of course, it would also be allergy related. We are having both the igg myco p and the IgE tested again as these two markers were high at last test done in 2014. Also doing another lyme panel (this time through Igenex). Trying to see exactly where things stand. We did just get a new script for biaxin tonight that we will start tomorrow. Also, Dr. R put us on NAC, turmeric, and vitamin C to help with inflammation We also will continue omegas and probiotics. Anyone have results from biaxin?

Sachromyces Boullardi is critical for anti yeast when doing long term abx like zith. It can be taken at the same time as the abx and the probiotic away from the abx.

We like zithromax. I would say a worsening of symptoms for us was actually a normalizing of the immune response.....ie mycoplasma titers high....then zith.....and a big letdown of mucous from the sinuses and chest......being able to get it out.

I also will say that zithromax has immune modulation properties and stopping cold turkey is not what is best........see below video.

A M,W,F prophylaxis for a period after the long term is recommended to not cause the immune response to reactivate.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiE-N_5_bjLAhVGKiYKHQ4wBOEQtwIIHzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Du7Mn-v5f23A&usg=AFQjCNG6VBOpoJ_Co5ERfJPoDyT5d5IfwA

• 4 weeks later...

We first got PANS diagnosis in early 2014 and our trigger was high myco p. Our doctor put son on azith and we stayed this course for about two months and titers were brought down fairly significantly in those two months. We also saw vast improvement in the OCD intrusive thoughts which has always been our primary symptom. We weaned off after about 4-5 months and just kept azith on hand for flares...which we had a major one later that year. Every time, we introduced a short course of azith, we would see a quick response. We continued to do probiotics and omega and multi-vitamin daily. Well, forward to the start of 2016, son had major relapse with OCD intrusive thoughts (primarily scrupulosity OCD) and we are now seeing both the obsession and the compulsion pieces together. We had his numbers tested last month and his myco p had come down even more than the test in 2014. They are now under 1000.....so this is about half of where we started, but still have a ways to go. After researching, I asked Dr to try Biaxin. He seemed to respond pretty well for the first couple of days...but after two weeks...it is much worse. I wanted to know if anyone had gone from azith to biaxin and back to axith again. Also, has anyone done intensive therapy at one of the OCD centers like Rothman or Rogers or are there others?

Have you tried minocycline? Some research indicates this has been shown to help OCD in some individuals. Research Washington Post, OCD, minocycline to read the latest article. I'd actually like to try minocycline next.

We are treating my daughter's microplasma with herbs, specifically the ENL-MC herb by Beyond Balance. This product is designed to target microplasma. My DD has too strong of a herx reaction on antibiotics, so we can't experiment with them anymore during the school year.

You need to find a practitioner who can prescribe the Beyond Balance products. So far, I've been impressed with the product line as we also use the Cognease Detox drops which was formulated to aid the body in detoxifying the neurological system.