ACN Latitudes Forums

Is the Video Screen Symptoms factor?

4Nikki

So DD had completed a couple of courses of Anti-biotics following consecutive flares, clearing up a case of strep and another for bacteria infections. Then a couple of days afterward she had severe symptoms and a big episode, But then her symptoms calmed down following. A week goes by and again she flare up with severe symptoms and a big episode. We noticed the this coincided with her video screen time. I did a quick search and found this article: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mental-wealth/201508/screentime-is-making-kids-moody-crazy-and-lazy So of course you can find anything on the internet you search for and someone will be selling a book or how to fit it.

I was hoping I could get some feed back on anyone with experiences?

Something in that, well thought of - I know I play computer games excessively when I'm feeling bad, everything else seems too difficult. If for some reason I haven't got a game to play at the time, I'll rattle randomly around forums, anything. (I do often feel better if I can manage to motivate myself to start on something else, non-computerised, and get into it, though - but sometimes I just can't get into it even if I try to stick at it for a bit, and have to give up and go back to the computer.)

On the other hand, using the computer definitely does muck up my concentration completely after an hour or so (this is true whether I'm having a bad patch or not). So there are things both ways.

My DS15 who has had PANDAS since March 2015 has used the screen as his coping mechanism. When he is most symptomatic he had used screen time - video games/tv and building LEGOS as his escape from his frightening reality. Paralyzing anxiety being his worst symptom. The screen or a lego at times have been the only thing that have helped pull him out of terrifying episode.

I too have worried that he spent way TOO much time on a screen. What has helped is that during his periods of healing following IVIG his screen time decreased. I also listened to a lecture from a PANS conference on YouTube. The speaker was a pediatrician who specializes in PANS. Her daughter also had PANS. She said all our patients for the most part are addicted to screens as a coping mechanism, her daughter included. The reality they face without it at times is too scary. As our kids heal this attachment will lessen. This gave me some comfort and less worry. I know that some of my extended family members think that if I just take away the video games my son will get better. Or if they take him away on a trip he will get better - like our house and the screens are the problem.

Of course I know better and ignore these requests.

The IVIG is slowly working and he is back in school part time. The only thing I had to cut out was some of the violent more mature video games - they tended to provoke anxiety. This Is probably not an issue for most of you with younger kids.

both of our kids are like what you describe, screen makes them flare after they stop watching. major flares. We can even distinguish horrible weeks when they are allowed to be on screen bc they earned it with good behavior. I am not sure why this is going on other than inability to shift focus, getting stuck, which might be a form of ADHD.

I read the article and didn't like its recommendation much since I don't think that the screen causes the problem. It all causes a flare.

Edited by pr40

Our kiddo uses Legos, mine craft and screens to cope. In fact his neuro said it is typical and probably counterproductive to try to restrict while in a flare. When he is doing better, he drops the screens for his normal varied activities.