ACN Latitudes Forums

Allergies/Tics

ssonheim

So, pediatrician said that my daughter had tics and they were caused by my Type A personality (that was pretty much what he told me.) And to ignore and they would go away. This wasn't okay for me , so yesterday, I saw a specific PANDAS pediatrician who said he wasn't sure if they were tics and he thought it was allergies. Most of them are in her nose and mouth. Said her turbinates were swollen. So we are treating with nasal steroids.

Does any of this make sense?

Do tics parade as allergies? She is waning and wasnt as severe for pediatrician 2 as she was for pediatrician 1.

I believe she has allergies, and that her turbinates are swollen. Would they cause a 5 year old to blink super hard (he said eyes are dry, but ophthalmologist didnt say this) and wiggle her nose day and night? 5-20 times an hour all day long for 2 months?

He said she didn't fit the PANDAS profile. I don't think he thinks they are tics.

I am so confused and frustrated. Hoping they are allergies and we will reevaluate in a month.

Edited by ssonheim

Hi

If you do a forum search for allergies and tics, you will likely come up with a lot of info!

Yes, allergies can be a root issue in tics, and/or exacerbate tics rooted in another cause.

Have you used Sheila's book as a resource yet? Lots of helpful info there.

http://latitudes.org/store/natural-treatments-for-tics-and-tourette-syndrome-book/

Do you mean he thinks that they are in fact allergies RATHER than tics, i.e. she blinks all the time because the allergies irritate her eyes? If so that does sound as if it doesn't entirely account for all the things you're reporting in other postings (the shoulder rolling, especially, unless it's just a response to being generally annoyed by it all). But allergies can also CAUSE, or exacerbate, actual tics as Chemar says, and that might be what he meant, I don't know. That would make sense. Anyway, in either case if there are allergies then sorting them out should help. Good luck!

She wasnt shoulder rolling (and hasn't in about a month.) I did mention it. I think he thinks she is hard blinking and wiggling her nose due to allergies. He said it would take 7-10 days for the nasal steroids to start working.

First ped said they were tics. I am so frustrated and upset. I don't know whether to seek a third opinion soon. I will see what happens in a week. We are on day 2 of steroid nasal spray and there is no difference yet.

Are the steroids supposed to bring down the allergic reaction generally, i.e. throughout her body, or just to treat the hypothetical problem with her nose? (If you know?) It being a nasal spray makes me wonder whether it's only meant to have a local effect, which if so would only work if the problem is indeed just that her nose is irritated rather than that her brain is irritated. I know antihistamines are supposed to cancel out an allergic reaction generally, or some kinds of allergic reaction at least. I don't know about a steroid spray, off-hand. NB don't take this as meaning that it WOULDN'T have a general effect, I just don't know whether it would or not and am curious!

I think he thinks her nose is irritated (bunny nose twitch) and eyes are dry (hard blinking) so treating the first source of the allergy (swelling in turbinates) will reduce tics ( whether they are real or not) I don't think he thinks she has PANDAS so there would not be inflammation in her brain. I don't know at all. I have seen them reduce but they were waning before her first appointment with him. I haven't seen the shoulder shrugging in about a month and that was when she had a too high pillow. And it went away when we got a small one. I think that she's overreacting to sensations suddenly. I am not sure anymore....

Edited by ssonheim