ACN Latitudes Forums

Appointment help?

ssonheim

Might be an idea to let the doctor see her for a few minutes, so he can see for himself and she can tell him all she wants to tell him, then let her wait in the waiting room or wherever (with the movie!) while you tell him what you have to tell him. That's how my parents and me usually managed appointments (my OCD goes ballistic if anyone tries to discuss what I do or don't have OCD problems about in front of me).

Of course I was 13 when my OCD started so could be left by myself, I think you said your daughter's only 5. Could her dad sit with her while you talk to the doctor, or vice versa?

Hope this helps

Wombat140

We had an excellent developmental pediatrician who evaluated my son. He was so very discreet in discussing the tics and was playing a "catch" game with my son while evaluating. He was great!

The neurologist....not so much as he said things in front of my son that he should not have and intensified his tics etc.

So it really does depend on the doctor.

My son was 10

Having someone close who can spend time with a younger child while you discuss details is a good idea. But the doctor does have to be able to observe and evaluate the tics, so it is a fine balance.