ACN Latitudes Forums

23andme

my2sons

I am confused about the 23andme results for my DS's vs. Their OATS or ONE test results. They were both homozygous for COMT suggesting supplementation with hydroxy B12 but their nutrievaluations indicated their levels for B12 are fine. So does that mean I should not supplement or does it mean they need more than the average person? Also, they were both homozygous for the GAD1 gene, indicating high glutamate and low GABA and to supplement with Taurine, The anime, NAC, Glycine, VitaminB3. But when tested, my youngest DS was very high in Taurine already. So I am not sure if that means I should avoid taurine with him or if his body is dumping it and needs more. Also, should a supplement with all suggested supplements or just try each til I find one that works. So confused. I am in SC and no doc's here that really understand the genetic testing.

I'm a bit confused by your post. Who's suggesting you supplement with B12 for a COMT genetic issue?

COMT is one of the genes that regulates how quickly your body degrades (uses up) dopamine and adrenaline. So if you're homozygous, it means you stay jacked up on adrenaline longer and stronger than people around you. This creates a "fight/flight" response. One of the tings that helps a slow COMT gene work a little better/faster is niacin (vitamin B3). Your VDR Taq gene also influences your COMT gene because it affects how much dopamine you produce. Your MAO-A gene also controls how quickly you degrade adrenaline and dopamine, so that gene's status also plays a role in what you decide to supplement. So does diet.

I've never seen B12 discussed with COMT. I usually see it discussed along with methylfolate (B9) for the MTHFR gene. So I'm confused.

Also, the thing to remember with all genes is that having a mutation doesn't mean that mutation is expressing itself or is active. You have a higher potential for issues, but it doesn't automatically mean you have that issue. Behaviors have to be considered. Plus you need to look at all the genes together, not individually.

I wouldn't automatically give a supplement simply based on a genetic result. But I would use the genetic results to guide you on new supps to consider, and then factor in current behaviors and nutrition results to decide if you need them and how much to try.

I downloaded my 23andMe results to Nutrahacker for interpretation. My DS was homozygous for one COMT gene and heterozygous for 4 others. The suggested supplement to consider for all 5 COMT genes is Hydroxy B12 and it is recommended that methyl B12 and methyl donors be avoided. He was also homozygous for two VDR genes suggesting supplementation with vitamin d3, sage, rosemary and again, to avoid methyl donors. Regarding the D3 I find it curious my DS's tics increase every year after Christmas (when it's cold and he is not outside as much, or as active.) I wonder if the low D3could be playing a role? We have been low to no tics for almost a year now (he is 12) and all of a sudden our protocol seems to have quit wotking and he is ticking constantly with anew vocal tic. I could usually trace it back to a diet infraction and reign them in with Epsom salt baths, activated charcoal, or baking soda in bath, Glycine or taurine. But nothing is working this time. Also, it's anew tic. His standard tic for years has been a yell. I have two kids with tics and the stress of it all is about to drive me to the breaking point. Sorry, I am teetering on the edge here.

Mold was a trigger for my son's tics, along with infections. Has anything changed in his environment, particularly if you're in a part of the country that's been unusually warm this winter?

I am on the coast of SC so yes it has been warm and wet. I have been thinking though, we did the OATS test and he was high in salicylatez and oxylates. Once we removed/ minimized most fruits and veggies and added the enzyme No Fenol his tics reduced and have stayed minimal to none except for one infraction over the summer, which sent his tics soaring for a week.well, he recently developed a couple of warts on his feet that I began treating with Grapefruit Seed Extract. Also, he began using deodorant in December so I am wondering if it could be one or the other of these two things or a combination of the two. That said, he does have environmental allergies and mold is one. They used to be pretty severe but have improved to the point of tolerable without meds as long as we stay the course with his diet. I have not tested for PANS/PANDAS since he does not get sick very often and when he does it is mild/short lived and his tics do not increase. Also, most of his other issues - ADHD, anxiety, sensory issues improved/diminished with dietary changes. He did have Strep, influenza A,and influenza B at the same time during August. He did get a high fever and had night terrors during fever but his tics did not spike during or after.ugh! Dealing with this is so emotionally exhausting.