ACN Latitudes Forums

i have TS since when i was 9 years old.

hello,

my tics started when i was 9 years old and now im 24 years old and im still in the same condition of tics and its getting worse over days.

my parents noticed my tics like when i was 10 years old, they asked a specialized doctor from our family and told them to give me haldol but i dont remember which dosage. since that day i started medication and took too many drugs(medicine) but i still the same and im getting worse and worse.

all of my tics are motor tics for now i had some vocal tics but they are gone now.

these days im taking xenazine 25mg with Lorazepam 2mg.

i take 4 half capsules of xenazine 25mg with and 4 half capsules of lorazepam 2mg a day as follows :

-)12.5mg of xenazine with 1mg of lorazepam in the morning.

-)12.5mg of xenazine with 1mg of lorazepam after launch.

-)12.5mg of xenazine with 1mg of lorazepam afternoon at 6 pm.

-)12.5mg of xenazine with 1mg of lorazepam after dinner at 11 pm.

i have no side effects of both drugs untill now and i have been taking them for 2 weeks for now.

i joined this forum so i can get help from professionnals in the TS field or from people who experienced TS with their childrens or with themselves.

please i need help i will be very thankfull if anyone helped me and told me what to do or what drugs to take or what triggers tics and how to avoid them if i can and if there are natural ways to reduce them.

thank you all very much im so thankfull for all of you.

bassem.

Hello Bassem, welcome to the forum. I hope you find some help here. It's been very useful for me in getting information on different treatments.

If you can spare $20, I'd very much recommend buying the book "Natural Treatments for Tics and Tourette's" put together by the people who run this site. There's a link near the top of this page where you can order the book.

It's a really good reference book on natural treatments for tics and which ones have been found to be the most effective ones (at least, in Latitudes members' experience). It holds a vast amount of information but at the same time is very clear and easy to use - the most straightforward and commonly useful things, the ones you should try first, are all at the beginning, for instance, with more obscure things discussed later for those who found that those didn't help or not enough. I hate combing the Internet for single bits of information and trying to piece them all together, so having a single reference book was a Godsend for me!

Meanwhile, a couple of the things that people usually mention first are:

1: Have you tried taking a magnesium supplement? A lot of tics are caused or at least exacerbated by not having quite enough magnesium. It may take some time to get results so you should take it for at least a few weeks before deciding that it's not helping, though if lucky it may work a lot sooner than that.

Preferably get one with a form of magnesium that isn't magnesium oxide or magnesium carbonate, as those two aren't absorbed anything like as well by the body, so you won't get as much benefit. (Also they're the most liable to upset your stomach, though some people handle them fine.) Magnesium citrate, magnesium gluconate and magnesium ascorbate are among the other forms - generally, anything that isn't carbonate or oxide is good. Some people on here use magnesium taurate because taurine (an amino acid) also helps some cases of tics in itself. But if you can't get anything but oxide or carbonate then use that.

2: Do you think you have any allergies? Have you any allergies that you know of; do your tics seem to get worse (or do you feel bad in other ways e.g. headaches) after eating particular foods or being exposed to particular chemicals (e.g. highly scented cleaning products); or are you prone to getting unexplained rashes/eczema/runny nose or eyes for no obvious reason? If so look into that, it's surprising how many cases of tics are linked to an allergy.

(That may not be a complete list of the possible signs that an allergy might be involved - I don't have that myself and it's a while since I've read about it. If I've forgotten any I hope someone else will chip in.)

It's not possible to recommend any natural treatment that will ALWAYS help, because different cases of tics are caused by different things or combinations of things and natural treatments generally relate to those specific things, so if yours doesn't involve a magnesium deficiency, for instance, magnesium won't help. That's why I said get the book - it advises you what you can try, and why, and in what order. However, the above are two things that very commonly do help - a lot of the population DO have a magnesium deficiency!

Edited by Wombat140

hello again and thanks for your help and everything you've said.

i will try and buy the book and i hope it will help me.

no i dont have any kind of alergies in my life or alergies of any type of those you have talked about.

but every day my tics are getting worse and worse

i have tics with my mouth with my hands with my legs with my stomach and tics are every where in my body..

im always shy in front of people because i do a lot of plans in my life.. im shy because of these bad tics.

anw in there any way i can get a sample of whats found in the book just a sample so i know what is it all about.

thanks again hope we can stay in touch.

• 1 month later...

Hi -- I'm just getting caught up on the forum postings! Sorry.

Many on this forum have had a child with TS (me included) or tic disorders themselves. I really sympathize with your situation; I know it is very difficult--and also tiring to have dealt with them for such a long time--and it can affect your self esteem.

But please know that there are lots of approaches that might help you.

You mentioned wondering about possible triggers -- have you seen this article? I hope you could please read it.

And you may also find parent success reports for Tourettes helpful and encouraging: See here

Please read through these and get back to us if anything strikes a chord with you--something that you can connect with as a possibility for your situation.

I hope you will see this post and get back to us. Please hang in there!