ACN Latitudes Forums

Tamiflu - Y/N

Hello All! So DS is down with flu inspite of taking flu shots.

Peds has prescribed Tamiflu. I have not started the course. From the review i have read so far, neurological issue with Tamiflu is a rare case. I dont want to be that rare case.

I asked Peds and she said ... tics vs pnemonia.

What is your opinion?

So sorry to hear this

Honestly, both the flu vaccines and things like tamiflu are concerning to me.

Still if your child is in serious condition you need to listen to your doctor.

There are also steps to take on building the immune system and other natural ways to ward off flu

I hope your son recovers quickly with minimal side effects.

Tamiflu cuts the symptoms by only 2 days. So, use it for 2 days, the temps should go down and throw it away. That is all I can say from personal experience.

There are natural means though, to let the body fight the flu, just have to wait it out and overdose with Vitamin C, elderberry extract etc. (I am sure you can find other means online) and if that is the way you want to go, I'd try those first. The body will eventually fight it off, just need to give it the right resources. However, I have not tried those routes.

Edited by chad72

Thank you all for your input. I have decided against Tamiflu in a hope that his body needs to get stronger by fighting off the bugs. His flu is not too bad. No fever (just a little warm to touch) , runny nose.

Because he has Reactive Airways Disease (RAD), i started him off on Albuterol & Budesonide in nebulizer. I think Albuterol gives him restless legs.

hmmmm...

Thank you all for your input. I have decided against Tamiflu in a hope that his body needs to get stronger by fighting off the bugs. His flu is not too bad. No fever (just a little warm to touch) , runny nose.

Because he has Reactive Airways Disease (RAD), i started him off on Albuterol & Budesonide in nebulizer. I think Albuterol gives him restless legs.

hmmmm...

Good luck. I wish I was as prudent as you were to check if I should give my daughter Tamiflu for her flu a year ago. I am still playing the shoulda coulda game because she developed her tics following the flu and treatment with Tamiflu. But then, it is likely she had the underlying condition that was put over the edge by the flu. Just not sure till this day if Tamiflu had a role to play in it, it is supposed to get out of your system within a week. Looking back, we did notice some symptoms that indicated her PANS condition prior to the flu, a few months prior.

I can't look back, have to look forward, otherwise it will kill me inside and I will be blaming myself for the rest of my life and it does not do anyone good, I should realize. My DD8 has been a trooper so far, a straight A student so far and has minimal tics, but I won't stop fighting for her.

Edited by chad72

The time we tried elderberry extract (Sambucol brand) it seemed to get rid of the flu pretty quickly, unless what we had was just a strain of flu that doesn't last very long; it is a bit expensive though. How's your son, TicsGoAway? Is he getting over it now?

It does occur to me that they didn't HAVE Tamiflu until just a few years ago (it was a new thing when the avian flu panic happened). Maybe a lot of kids really did die of flu complications before that, I don't have the figures, but it may just be that they give Tamiflu now they have it just because they DO have it, so that they're sure they're doing everything they can, just to be on the safe side. As Chad72 mentioned, Tamiflu doesn't make as dramatically big a difference as they initially thought, anyway. I remember hearing that the manufacturers of Tamiflu and Relenza are involved in some kind of wrangle with either the British or American government over whether they misled them over how effective the drugs really were, when they sold them all those millions of doses for avian flu and swine flu at vast expense!

DS has recovered from flu without tamiflu. But i gave him his albuterol & budesonide. After doing some reading on "Asthama meds and tics" looks like these meds can exacerbate the tics. DS is OK though. Keeping him GFCF. Slowly bringing back eggs and chicken into his diet. He needs some protein.

Anybody has any input on how to boost immunity naturally? Looks like all the meds & gluten diet triggers or exacerbate tics. One needs stronger immune system.

He eats all his green veg (brocolli is his fav, spinach, carrots, peas, corn) and fruits. What else do i need to do to increase immunity!

DS has recovered from flu without tamiflu. But i gave him his albuterol & budesonide. After doing some reading on "Asthama meds and tics" looks like these meds can exacerbate the tics. DS is OK though. Keeping him GFCF. Slowly bringing back eggs and chicken into his diet. He needs some protein.

Anybody has any input on how to boost immunity naturally? Looks like all the meds & gluten diet triggers or exacerbate tics. One needs stronger immune system.

He eats all his green veg (brocolli is his fav, spinach, carrots, peas, corn) and fruits. What else do i need to do to increase immunity!

I do Vitamin C gummies every day for my DD8 since any excess is water soluble, Vitamin D drops every day from fall break to spring break, and up the zinc dosage when she is fighting something. It varies from person to person but that is what I do.