ACN Latitudes Forums

Help! can't understand IGeneX lyme results

I just got the results back from our ND. She in not in the office and I don't have an appt until next week. The test was for the IgG31 kDa Epitope test.

We did this specific test because IGeneX recommended this additional test because my DS's results for the Western blot were ++ 41, +58 and indeterminate for 31 and 39.

The results are below:

Non-specific antibody for B. burgdorferi - NEGATIVE

Specific antibody for B. burgdorferi - POSITIVE

So what does it mean? Does that mean he has lyme?

Also his IgM Western Blot which was done with the first tests was 41- indeterminate. No other results.

He tested negative for all co-infections except he tested positive for HME (Ehrlichiosis)

IgM - 80 (anything <20 is considered negative)

IgG <40 (anything <40 is considered negative)

Would love your help and wisdom!

Thanks!

Edited by SEAMom

I don't know much about the epitope test. If he has ehrlichia, there is a very good chance he also has lyme. It has been very difficult to rid my son of ehrlichia, which makes his LLMD think he was congenitally infected (he is adopted). He was also treated for clinical symptoms of lyme and bartonella. He was bart negative and lyme negative with not enough positive bands and many indeterminate ones that were lyme specific. When we added the bart treatment, it really upped the game and made him very well. After nearly 3 years, he still has very high ehrlichia titers that fluctuate up and down but never into negative status.

I did this particular test to confirm Lyme. I was positive.

Because you had an indeterminate for Band 31 on original Igenex test result, your ND correctly ordered the Band 31 kDa Epitope Test.

When preforming the Epitope Test, Igenex takes a closer look at your original specimen (typically doesn't require a second blood draw) and tests for the B. Burdorferi "antigen". Antigens are very different from antibodies. Antigens are like DNA of the bacteria. You can find several YouTube videos on the difference between antigens and antibodies.

The Epitope Test has a very low rate of false positives. Unfortunately I do not remember the exact % anymore.

Here is also blurb on confirmatory testing:

"Testing accuracy or the ability to have greater sensitivity without sacrificing specificity increases in the later stages, but false-positives are still known to occur due to cross reactivity with syphilis, mononucleosis, some autoimmune diseases, and possibly periodontal disease (3, 9, 12). In addition, there is a report that in some cases, immune complexes may mask the serological response (13). Therefore, most clinicians recommend that a diagnosis of Lyme borreliosis be based on clinical signs and symptoms, with multiple laboratory tests being used only as supportive data (5, 8, 14). Assays that focus on the detection of some of the more unique antigens of B. burgdorferi may help provide additional laboratory tools to aid in the diagnosis of Lyme borreliosis."

Here is another great link on cross reactivity for specific bands/antibodies.
Edited by sf_mom