ACN Latitudes Forums

Stomach cramps

ejh

My DS12 was diagnosed with PANDAS two months ago. His tonsils and adenoids were removed 9 days ago. He has been taking Augmentin for about 8 weeks now. He has been getting really painful stomach cramps for the last week. I read this can be a PANDAS symptom, and the antibiotics can cause stomach problems as well. Are there things he can eat or drink that would help? He is now thinking it is because he eats and I need to counter that because affer his last episode he was afraid eating would make him throw up. Any advice?

Is he taking probiotics? (Hopefully?!) if this is a new symptom, I would definitely call the doctor.....

You should definitely redirect his thinking about eating causing the cramps. dangerously severely restricted eating was one of my dd's biggest issues, and I would do anything to avoid that line of thinking. Abx could certainly be causing that though, so I would start there.

This may sound stupid, but maybe try going and getting some "special bread" (or something like that), and tell him that it's supposed to help make stomach cramps go away.... Again, that may sound dumb, but the power of suggestion can be very convincing, especially for a kid with anxiety/OCD.

Good luck ;)

Thanks! He is not taking probiotics yet, I am trying to figure out what to give him. And I like the suggestion about the bread. The only thing I worry about is if I tell him it will help and it does not he will be even more worried about it. But the feeding restricting is scary so I will try it.

You should get him on probiotics ASAP.... They should've been recommended by the doctor prescribing the Augmentin. Just using abx for a few days can cause stomach issues, and if he had surgery & pain meds in addition, ( plus restricted eating!) I'm not surprised that his stomach is hurting.

Call the doctor's office ahead of time to discuss it, and when you bring him in have the doctor tell him that he needs to eat "xx amount per day" to help with the cramps. Hearing that from someone other than mom might help :)