ACN Latitudes Forums

Daughter needs tdap for 7th grade. Is there a way to get exempt because she has Lyme

My daughter is due to start seventh grade next year. Because of the new vaccine law in California she will not be able to go to public school unless she gets the tdap required for seventh-grade entrance

She is healthy and doing well however she does have Lyme. I'm afraid to do the vaccine and mess with her immune system. Not sure if she can have a medical exemption. And not sure if her pediatrician would even consider that a medical reason

Anyone has information or suggestion that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks mary

Is checking titers as proof of immunity enough in CA? They will probably still be high. Boy am i glad we still have religious exemptions here in NY, I will probably never give another vaccine to any of my kids, willingly. I mean this is really out of hand, with flu shots mandates for all kids under age six in NYC, and HVP mandate coming up.....

Does she have an IEP? The law states that kids with IEP's cannot be barred from school based on vaccine status.

Also, where are you in CA? If you're in the SF bay area I can PM you the names of doctors who may be willing to write the medical exemption. Also, if you're working with an LLMD, maybe they'd be willing to write the med exemption?

Our integrative pediatrician was willing to write a medical exemption for our ds based on Lyme and PANS dx's, but didn't need to because he's past the 7th grade "checkpoint" and his personal beliefs exemption is grandfathered in.

Hi Mama2alex

Thanks for the great info. We live in San Diego. See a natural path in pismo beach. Not sure if he can sign the medical exempt form. Maybe I can search for a LL M.D. down here that would work with us on the situation. If you have any names in this area that would be great

No IEP. Not sure what it takes to get one. She does great in school. Only her teachers know that she has Lyme. I know I wish we could still do the personal belief. she will be in seventh grade next year that's the next checkpoint.

Told my husband we're moving to Hawaii ha ha !!!

Thanks mary;)