ACN Latitudes Forums

My tics have got worse

alimac

Hi all. My first post here as a new member!

A little about me, I'm 43, male, I've had tics / ts since I was young 7 ish. It's generally been pretty mild and not really caused me any issues throughout my life, I've been able to control my tics to a large extent when needed. However just this past week my tics have totally changed for the worse. I've suddenly got what feels to be almost constant facial tics, blinking, screwing eyes and face up tight, jaw tensing. It's never really been something that I've done, What's bothering me is how suddenly this has appeared and that fact that I really can't control or stop them. I've always been able to suppress them to a low level in situations that I need to, such as social situations or at work, but I can't anymore and it's really worrying me.

I have 2 great kids and a very supportive wife so I'm really lucky that way, but this recent change in my tics is really affecting my quality of life and I'm reluctant to be out in public like this, my eyes and jaw are constantly sore and tired from the tensing..

I have had a couple of virus / infections recently (who doesn't when they have a 3 year old!) and I know this is supposedly something that can alter things, however I've been ill before and sometimes my tics can get worse but never to this level.

I guess I just wanted to share any similar experiences or advice from others who may empathise with this, I hope this stage doesn't last too long as I'd like to get back to how things were pretty soon!

Anyway thanks for reading, and any advice or opinions are appreciated :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alimac, Well -- your post sure slipped through the cracks. I'm so sorry. :( Please let me offer a belated welcome to the Forums!

Facial tics can be so hard do deal with. You have my sympathies there. I hope the burst in tics you were experiencing was short-lived. Now that it has been a few weeks since you wrote, have the symptoms become better or worse? You mentioned a virus might have aggravated things. Have the tics settled down since then?

Do you want to check our Finding Triggers for Tics article and see what you come up with? (Try not to be overwhelmed. Skim through the ones you know don't apply.) We will be keeping an eye out for a response and be sure to get back to you.

Welcome to the forum Alimac.

May be hard to remember by now, but was there anything else that changed around the time the tics got worse? Things like a new food, a new brand of shampoo or cleaning product, new carpets or paint, anything like that - tics often, though by no means always, seem to have some connection to allergies or similar sensitivities, so if you'd been exposed to any new substance like that it could be that you happen to be allergic to it. (If you need more information about all that, you can find it in Sheila Rogers' book, "Natural Treatments for Tics & Tourette Syndrome" http://latitudes.org/store/natural-treatments-for-tics-and-tourette-syndrome-book/ , or probably in the article mentioned above, too.)

Are things any better yet? Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies. Thankfully things have gone back to normal. I have to say it was the oddest period I've ever had regarding my tics - the suddenness and relentlessness and lack of control was unprecedented. I can only think it was to do with this bug I had caught. Anyway thankfully things have receded so thanks for caring ☺