ACN Latitudes Forums

lactose intolerance and OCD symptoms

jan251

Does anyone know what lactose intolerance might have to do with OCD symptoms (PANS/PANDAS) or would they not be related?

I have long noticed an association between dairy and slightly worse symptoms. So, I keep him off dairy. However, testing for IgE allergy and IgG response to milk and cheese was all negative. Of course, the IgG testing is not particularly reliable, so I assumed that the result was simply wrong.

Today, 23andme released a new report option. It doesn't provide a ton of info, but one item is lactose intolerance, and ds is likely to be lactose intolerant according to this (stop producing lactase at some point).

It seems to me it would be easier to buy lactose-free products than dairy-free, if indeed lactose were the problem. I suppose I should just try and see what happens, but, well you know, who wants to take a chance at making things worse, even for a few days.

Has anyone eliminated lactose but not casein to good effect?

(This is a small thing, but it would be nice if I could get something right for once.)

Edited by jan251

Most Maps or dan doctors would probably answer that testing is unreliable and what you need to rely on is the clinical picture. The two things that come to mind maybe your child's not mounting enough antibody response to even show on a lab test and that's why its not showing or commonly doctors look at similar groups -- just for example if your child has a peanut allergy or sensitivity it would be reasonable to be cautious about other items in the nut family (just for example) you might want to consider items in the dairy family may be aggravating. Address the aggravation broadly.

OCD symptoms in our experience are due to an aggravation, most often food and go pretty completely away or under cover when yje aggravation is removed. Consider SCD diet, get a clean slate.

Thanks - I had forgotten about that. We did the Great Plains peptide test over a year ago; the ratio for casomorphin was negative (0.51, reference range <0.56, so I wonder whether that result could be considered near the top of the normal range; the wheat ratio was much lower at 0.09, reference <0.58). I'll see if I can find out any more info, maybe on the absolute amount of peptide rather than the ratio...

I'm still wondering about lactose, apart from casein, though - can lactose cause such a problem?

Edited by jan251

I was told that there can be false negatives. The best way to tell if you are unsure is to remove these from diet and if you obtain positive results you have your answer. Both my sons did test HIGH for one or both. When I cleaned up their diet, I saw improvement within days....not even a week. My one son, he has been clean from both gluten and casein for about 1 1/2 years. I was told that when healing occurs, the body has a chance to eventually digest these proteins. I have been testing the waters with him. So far, it appears, that he has indeed started to digest on his own, hence, no stomach problems or psyche issues. (not pandas child) I think that this is due to his immune system forgetting....as well.....