ACN Latitudes Forums

Childhood Tic

Hi, my name is Marianne, i am new to this board, i came across it when i was doing research for my 7 year old son suffering with a tic problem. I am so glad that i found this forum. There is so much information!.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. My 7 year old son started rolling his eyes when his younger brother was born. Not thinking it was anything, i just assumed that it was a habit and that it will go away. After ignoring it, he just stopped doing it. He was clear of the problem for about 1 year. Then just recently he started to do it again, but this time he shruggs his shoulders and does this thing with his jaw, and at the same time he could be rolling his eyes. I feel so bad for him because he doesn't even realise that he is doing it. Since he was little he has always been an active child. His Year one teacher last year suggested that i have him checked for ADHD. My husband and i then spoke about it and just couldn't accept the fact if he did have it so we just ignored it. Then the rolling of the eyes started. I have been doing alot of research on Childhood tics and have come across that he maybe doing it because of insecurity. He only really started doing it after my second son was born. There could be alot of thing that are causing it, i have been doing my head in just thinking what it could be. I am so worried that i took him to see our GP. Fortunately he only referred me to see our Pediatrician. That is still a week and a half away.

I have read alot about how TV and computer games can play a major part with Childhood Tics. I have cut back with his TV, taken him off most of the junk food and have put him on Multivitamins, Fish Oil, Magnesium and B vitmains. So far his Tics have reduced, but they are still here.

Does anyone have any information or advice for this kind of condition, i have been worried sick about my son in the last week, i actually kinda feel all depressed about it. I just feel so helpless as a mother!

Kind Regards

Marianne

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Marianne,

Welcome... I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. It's soooo hard. If you can try to have him tested for allergies. My son was also active as a child, (13 now) and I believe taking away the food he was testing positive for has really really helped calm him down. That would be a big help even if he did have ADHD, diet helps all kinds of kids with different health conditions.

This place is such a big help, with lots of great people who really know how your feeling.

C.P.

Hi, Marianne,

Welcome... I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. It's soooo hard. If you can try to have him tested for allergies. My son was also active as a child, (13 now) and I believe taking away the food he was testing positive for has really really helped calm him down. That would be a big help even if he did have ADHD, diet helps all kinds of kids with different health conditions.

This place is such a big help, with lots of great people who really know how your feeling.

C.P.

Hi CP,

Thankyou for your quick response!!. I forgot to add that my son also has alot of nightmares and also sometimes sleepwalks. I don't know if this is all related with his tic problems as well. I guess i just have to wait and see what the Pediatrician says when i see her. But like i said, that is still a week and a half away. It feels like forever waiting for that day to come. Since he started with his tics again, i have taken him off pretty much all junk food, and honestly it has helped alot, he is not as hypo as usual. It is so hard just trying to think what can be causing it.

So you had your son tested for allergies. That's definately something i will do. Thankyou for your advice. BTW, are you from America?, i am from Australia. It's already 1am here and i am still searching for any information on tics. It's overwhelming how much information is on this discussion board.

Thanks again

Marianne

:)

I can honestly empathize with you. When our son tics it actually makes me sick inside. I know it does not bother him that much near as much as me. You seem to have him down the right path. We limit our son to TV, games, junk food as well as have him taking sups B6 complex, Natural Calm mag, Taurine, and vit c and a multi. We have had him tested for alergies with the prick method and found nothing. We recently have had him tested for food alergies using the Icg method and are still waiting for the test results, hopefully this week. I take most of the worry between my wife and me. We are trying to give him the best in all ways, and it obviously includes going down every path that may help him even a little. Don't lose hope, it does get better. We are approaching a year since he started ticcing. He is mostly tic free, and when he does they don't seem to last more then a week and they are much less.

Lenny

Hi Lenny,

You know this forum is great, there are so many nice people like you who make me feel like i am not alone with this tic problem!!!!. I know exactly how you feel with this tic thing!!, it really upsets me too when i see him doing it and he has totally no control over it.

I honestly think in alot of ways that i brought this tic on my son. You see, there is an age gap of 6 years between him and his younger brother. When my youngest son was born, it was really hard for him to accept the fact that he had to share the attention. At times i admit that once my youngest son was born, i kind of expected my older son to grow up so quickly. That's when he started rolling his eyes. It's been about 2 years now on and off that he rolls his eyes. But just last week he started doing this thing with his jaw and his neck, then rolling his eyes as far back as possible. I tell yah, it scares the ###### out of me when i see him doing that. I have read alot about childhood tics, and alot of the reasons why they start doing it is because of stress. Maybe somehow with my son, the loss of the attention made him insecure somehow and i guess this is how he handles the stress, by doing his tic. Since i have been giving him more attention, he doesn't really do it as often as before. I don't know, i seriously have been doing my head in just thinking what i have done wrong. At the moment, i just have to wait and see what the Pediatrician says. His appointment is still more than a week away. I will keep you posted in what happens.

In the meantime, i'm just glad that i can share my experiences with other people, it really is comforting to know that there are other people that totally understand what i am going through. It's good to hear that your son is almost tic free. It's always hard for any parent to see their child with any problems mainly regarding their health. Just be strong for him, i'm sure that's what has helped him alot already.

Anyway, thanks for your comment, it's made me feel alot better, and now i realise that there is still hope at the end of the tunnel!!!!

I will definately let you know what happens. Take it easy

bye

Marianne :)

Sorry about that.

I just wanted to tell you, try not to blame yourself for this. I had to learn the hard way, that causes the most damage.

Stress seems to be the big one in our house.

Things will fall into place, and I'm hoping this is just a small childhood tic issue, and not TS.

Look forward to hearing how the Dr. appt. went.

C.P.

Hi Marianne & welcome to the forum

Trust me I know exactly what you are going through. Here is a link (copy and paste it into the tool bar) to my original thread called (worried confused and need help) if the link doesnt work

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2161

My son started eye rolling in January. My wife and I were sick with worry. The whole thing dominated our lives. We would watch him all the time to see how often he was ticcing etc. I would shout at him (thinking he should be able to control it) and basically doing everything we shouldnt.

As with you I think that stress started it all off. He still tics every now and then but at the moment (thank you god) things are good with us all.

Take one step at a time. This web site will over load you with info if you let it.

Dont pin your hopes on your Ped to wave a magic wand, as you will se on my thread our Ped dismissed everything about this web site as "medically nothing had been proven". I just dont want you coming out of there feeling crushed in any way.

Try not to let your son puick up on your feelings, tyhat may stress him out even more. If stress seems to be the trigger then you need to see and try and take that stress aweay from your son.

As was said to me in our first few days, things do and will get better. I am sure Chemar will be along soon to give you one of her hugs.

Dont let it dominate your life, one day you will look back at this moment and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Take care

John

C.P,

It's almost 12am here in Australia. Anyway, just letting you know how my son is going. I think today is the best day he has had since he started doing his tic's. I think the vitamins that i have him on are working in some sort of way already. It's only been 3 days and i can see a big improvement already. I hope that it will get rid of it completely!!!, let's hope so anyway.

I'm so glad that i got the internet!!!, i'm able to keep in contact with caring people like you:)

Thanks again

Marianne :)

C.P,

Thankyou so much for your understanding, it makes me feel better already that you and others care so much about us lost parents. I swear, the last few days have been so unbearable for me to handle. I just feel so bad for my innocent little boy :) . I just feel so helpless as a mother, it's not like something that i can fix on my own, like if he has a fever, i'll just give him panadol or something, i just feel like this is out of my control, if you know what i mean.

I know that stress is also the main cause of his tic's. Because he is so active, he gets into trouble alot from me or his father. So since he has started rolling his eyes again, i realise that if we want him to get better the change has to start from myself and my husband. The last few days, the house has been stress free. I just realise now, "what the ###### was i stressing out so much about before anyway"!.

I am hoping that it is just a small tic problem too. I know that TS does not run in our family at all. I will for sure keep you updated on all that happens with my little boy.

You take care and thanks again

Marianne

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your advice :) . Like i was telling C.P, it's so overwhelming that there are so many people out there that care so much!!! and also understand exactly what i am going through.

Anyway, how old is your son?, my son is 7 now but he started rolling his eyes last year after his younger brother was born. I am trying so hard not to blame myself, but i know for a fact that the stress levels in our house was just too much at times and i know for sure it is one of the main reasons why he started with the tic's. His tic problem has been on and off for the last year, but this time i actually decided to get information coz he isn't just rolling his eyes now, he also does this thing with his jaw and shoulder at the same time. It really looks scary. I took him straight to our family GP, who just referred me to the Pediatrician. His appt is next wed. I will keep you updated with what happens. I am hoping that this is just a small tic problem and that if i eliminate the stress from him, he will get better.

My husband and i did exactly what you did, we would just tell him off for doing it. Silly me, now that i have read about the condition, i realise that he has totally no control over it, that's why i feel so bad. Seriously, for the last week, all that i have been doing is just watching him constantly to see if he is doing it. I try not to let it upset me, but it's just so hard as a parent to see your child doing these things.

Anyway, thankyou again, i will look at the website you sent me and i will definately keep you updated with any progress with my son

Have a great day and take care

Thanks again

Marianne

:) I heard someone needs a hug here :)

Here ya go Marianne

v-2575-19-044.jpg

You are receiving such good support and info here that all I can add is to encourage your to keep seeking and asking and you WILL find answers. As most of us have learned, having an excellent doctor(s) to work with is essential BUT taking charge of the direction of treatment is something that we have to do ourselves.

You clearly are doing so and you will find that, with a support group like this be able to vent, or cry, or inquire or share info with, you and your child will do just fine!

welcome to Latitudes/ACN

Hello Marianne, (and all)

I just wanted to say welcome too, and glad to hear you have already made a little progress with botth your son AND yourself.

Oh yes, I have been there too as the others have described. My son is now eight and even though he has been doing better and better, I believe due to the health strategies learned with the help I found here, I did have a little setback this past weekend that sent me almost back to square one. My son was making his First Communion Saturday, and the night before I saw him doing that eye thing (like looking up into eyebrows) and was heartsick. Even after I thought I had it all together (well, for the most part) I paniced and asked him quite harshly why he was doing that now. I feel terrible, but fear can do awful things to you. I didn't want this to be obvious to my family and friends who would be here for a party afterwards. I suppose stress is a big factor, but how to eliminate that totally from life?

Thankfully, yes, he did have some extra blinking, I suppose due to the anxiety of the big day, but it wasn't as pronounced as the night before. I just got him back on track, and along with support and prayer :):) we got through the day and I am grateful it wasn't as bad as I feared. (and I have blamed myself for his condition many times too, even thinking taking him on one of those long tube water slides at Sesame Place when he was three was what triggered it. :)

Could I ask how long ago did he start this eye and shoulder tic? And how long after starting some dietery restrictions and the supplements you mention, did you feel he started to improve? Do you mean it seems less intense or frequent now? Thanks and hope your appt. goes well, although as John said, you may not get much info there, but your son is young and hopefully he will grow out of some of this.

Regards

Faith

I agree with John, our ped was useless, don't get your hopes up. He just shrugged it off and basically blew us off. I have done all the research along with the help of this forum to reduce our son's tics. Even if they are "transient", it still doesn't make it any easier to watch. I study him way too much and even when the kid has the hicups I feel my stomach start going into anxious mode! I feel he honestly controls my moods some times, not good!! I am working on that part, I know he sees me watching him and that probably puts some stress on him. It is the complete helplessness I go through, as someone said, when he has a cut, you put a bandaide on it, a fever, you give him asprin, but this is not like that. He put in a good weekend, you would think I should be greatfull, and I suppose I am, but I can't help but wonder if he will be ticcing when I seem him after school.

Sorry for the negative post, getting some of these feelings out in the open should be allowed I hope. Perhaps others can share how they deal with similar issues. I still have a ways to go before I have the attitude that I should just be thankfull for him and that I am doing all everything I can and to relax.

Lenny