ACN Latitudes Forums

Paranoid Anxiety Attack today-need decision help ASAP

DS, 16, had a major paranoid anxiety attack at school. He called me and was all freaked out that something was not right. He did not feel right. He felt like someone was watching over his shoulder (paranoid?). I convinced him to go to the nurses office. He did and his blood pressure was sky high. 190/85 and 155/85. He had been crying and was curled up on nurses cot. He has been on downward trend since getting flu shot five weeks ago.

I brought him home and he has been resting ever since. No electronics, no TV. Called regular doctor's office that is familar with pandas, they referred us to crisis phone number. Feel like they washed their hands of him. Called Dr. K in Chicago and he could see us tomorrow but is 10 hour drive, otherwise nexxt week. I made the appt. for next week. Called regular immunologist, but he is out until Wednesday.

Husband is against drive to Chicago, tonight. I'm in favor of it. I'm worried this is going to spiral out of control like it has in the past. Only thing that made it better was steroids and IVIG.

Just gave son 800 mg of ibuprofen and sandwich. He seems better but he is at home with me, so there you are...

Brain is swirling and not sure what to do. Any advice???????????

I would dose him w highest possible dose of Advil, 3x day, for a week.

Maybe see if you can implore Dr K to do steroid burst Rx over phone? Say you don't want to pull son out of school when he is having issues for fear he won't go back?

Hang in there- I know your fear and panic all too well-

I'd be very concerned about the drive. Even sedation could backfire. I heard a bad story about a young man away at college that had similar issue and the patents picked him up to drive him to their doctor and the young man he kicked strong the whole way back nightmare, kiking 3-4 hours.

You know your kid, you are the best decider.

Do you have Advil or Gaba? Benadryl?

Some sensory lavender, lotion, brushing, noise blocking head phones.

Is he in need of allergy meds?

If I can think of any more I will re post, best to you.

Dr.L recently told us naproxen (Aleve) is even better than ibuprophen which I believe since I take it to manage my SLE symptoms., Fish oil is another easy to add inflammatory if your child is not already on it. I second the steroids idea. Maybe suggest a possible me drop dose pak.