ACN Latitudes Forums

HELP, PLEASE - rapid onset of tics

angie

My 6 year old son with no past medical history has experienced a pretty rapid onset of tics. It started about a month ago with sniffing and then blinking (which I just monitored), and within the last two days, he has added throat clearing and spit slurping - and he is suddenly doing all of these almost constantly. We went from minor to major interference in daily life, including school. He also has an incredibly red and swollen nasal passage that we can't quite figure out. We saw an allergist, but the tests turned up nothing significant. Does anyone have any experience with such a rapid onset or with this nose issue? I can't help but think his nose has something to do with all these tics. We are in St. Louis if anyone has any good docs in the area. Thank you so much for your help. This is heartbreaking. :(

Hi and welcome

I see you posted on our PANS forum too, which is good as whenever there is rapid onset after illness/infection/inflammation, that is always an avenue to explore.

Please do also take a look at the Helpful Threads section pinned to the top of this forum.

Hoping you find answers to help your son

Your son may have a sinus infection. You can order an amber glass nasal spray bottle and fill it with saline water, 4 drops of lavender, 2 drops of Frankincense, 2 drops of Meleleuca and 1 drop of Copaiba. You can find this info on Pinterest too under essential oils. You can order these from Young Living. Another company that is good is Native American Nutrtionals. My child had a sinus infection for months and antibiotics wouldn't clear it. This nasal spray did.

• 2 weeks later...

My 6 year old son with no past medical history has experienced a pretty rapid onset of tics. It started about a month ago with sniffing and then blinking (which I just monitored), and within the last two days, he has added throat clearing and spit slurping - and he is suddenly doing all of these almost constantly. We went from minor to major interference in daily life, including school. He also has an incredibly red and swollen nasal passage that we can't quite figure out. We saw an allergist, but the tests turned up nothing significant. Does anyone have any experience with such a rapid onset or with this nose issue? I can't help but think his nose has something to do with all these tics. We are in St. Louis if anyone has any good docs in the area. Thank you so much for your help. This is heartbreaking. :(

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your son. I've had TS since the age of 6 and I am now 43 with my TS being worse than ever. I have a sniffling/snorting tic and am having problems myself. Thankfully (I guess) I knew what to look for. It does sound like he has a sinus infection. I would suggest using a neti pot to clear out his sinus passages, but do NOT use tap water or regular table salt with this. You can buy the mix or make it homemade. I would obviously contact his Dr to get an appt to have him looked at to verify it is in fact a sinus infection. If so, antibiotics can be prescribed. Also ask about the neti pot. Also, if he has dry sinus passages, ask about using Ocean spray. It's been a bit since your post, so I hope all has been fixed since then. *hugs* J