ACN Latitudes Forums

herbs for sleep?

I haven't slept more than 4-5 hours a night since March. Fortunately my dd sleeps 8-10 hours a night even though it takes her quite a while to settle down and get to sleep.

I've tried melatonin, Benadryl, Tylenol PM, Unisom... can anyone recommend any herbs for ME? I know I have PTSD from this ordeal, and it has only been four months for us. I'm trying to find a good therapist but we don't have anyone who does CBT or DBT in our area and just sitting in an office talking about my problems for an hour isn't working.

I try to mediate for 15-20 mins a day and I get to yoga when I can and walk on the beach but sleep is impossible no matter how exhausted I am.

Thanks!

You might try valerian root, which you can get either in capsule or tea form. Warning . . . it smells like a dirty athletic sock, but it does have calming properties.

You might also try a lavender oil or lotion right at bedtime . . . rubbed on your hands or sprayed lightly on your pillow. I've found that it helps me, as well.

Cross my heart I'll tell you I did not sleep for 16 years and as much as I tried every distressing product and protocol finally the one that helped was a Hyland's product called Biochemic Phosphates instructions are on the bottle -- like many homeopathics this one said to take it 2-3 times a day as needed and as much as every 15 minutes until no longer needed. That was me however I only had to do it 4 times to get to the relaxing sleep dose the first couple of times then I got down to just once or twice before bed.That was heaven for me. I was having some breakthrough waking and learned about Calc Carb (Boiron) and that it could be used for inducing sleep, That helped with night waking but is also OK on its own and I no longer use Biochemic Phosphates. Many nights I dont need it at all now, good luck to you.

Make sure you are taking enough magnesium. It helps with both detoxification and relaxation. We take 150 mg mag citrate powder 2x daily (8am and 3pm) and then another 300 mg before bed along with 4-5 drops of melatonin.

We both sleep like logs.

not a herb, but also non invesive. transcranial therapy helps me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_direct-current_stimulation

if you are interested, i can tell you which device I bought and where i put the electrodes.

before i started transcranial, I used melatonin 3mg. up to 10mg seems ok. i know you tried it. I sometimes combine it with 5htp.

I'm sorry you're going thru this! (Yes, I have PTSD too, from a childhood trauma AND ds15's PANS issues.)

For me (b/c obivously don't know how old you are), menopausal hormonal fluctuations had a huge impact. Once I started a topical progesterone cream, sleeping has been more continuous. Before that I was waking up every couple of hours.

And then eliminating my midday coffee (a.m. cup is still okay, fingers crossed), not even decaff. I was skeptical at first, but after a few weeks I was sleeping much better. I'm drinking afternoon Teecino (herbal coffee, no caffeine) as my placebo coffee. :)

Edited by tj21

I am with you on the PTSD front. No MD (at least one that can help with it) will take me seriously. Sleep is a disaster for me. I can take 2000 mg of magnesium and it does nothing. I am a certified yoga and meditation instructor and I am wide awake. Melatonin only sometimes works for me. The lack of sleep and the inability to sleep make me very angry and I decided to do whatever it took to sleep. I go through periods where I take an RX sleeping pill to fall asleep and an RX pill to stay asleep in the same night and for several weeks in a row. The reduction in stress is worth it for me. Many of us are in this for the long haul so we need to take car e of ourselves.

I hope you find something that works for you and that you don't beat yourself up about it, but rather sleep peacefully. :)

Try magnesium. Only magnesium taurate, citrate or glycinate. Other forms aren't easily absorbed. Start with 100mg and work your way up. I take 600mg at bedtime. I sleep better and I don't get leg and toe cramps. You will have to find th magic number of mgs 100 at a time. Magnesium will also cause loose stools so go up 100 mg at a time. My doctor recommended this to me. In addition I also take a bioidentical compounded progesterone at bedtime.n this combination has me sleeping like a baby.

A couple other suggestions: try a "dream pad" acoustic pillow. I plays soothing, specialized music to help induce sleep. It works through bone conduction and u only hear it (usually) if your head is against the pillow. Also you might want to try a Heavy (weighted) blanket which was great for our DD. Lastly, if u can get someone to do massage therapy --then download the video directions for "abdominal sleep reflex" from the Masgutova Method website. Www.masgutovamethod.com [btw-the also have a PTSD protocol]. Two weeks of work on that transformed our DDs sleep --quite amazing to me still.

Sirena

Ok, so I have been taking Calms Forte by Hyland for almost a week. You take 1-2 tables three times a day. I have been sleeping somewhat better but more importantly, after I take it, the knot in my stomach goes away. The only ingredient in it that I recognize is chamomille but so far it is a dream.

I have colitis and can't risk magnesium as I don't need to be in the bathroom anymore than I already am.

Since I am compound homozygous for COMT, I know I am estrogen dominant. Does that mean I am low on progesterone? I have to much to learn.