ACN Latitudes Forums

Contact lenses for a PANS kid?

Curious if anyone's PANS kid wears contacts? Did they cause a flare up in your child? My almost 13 y.o. is begging for them.

Part of me is tempted to get them--he's ruined two pairs of glasses this year in rages, and at this point they are held together with glue until insurance is willing to pay for another pair. But I'm worried that the irritation they will cause to his eyes as he gets used to them will trigger him (everything triggers him--allergies, growth spurts, teeth coming in). Do you think that after an initial period of getting used to them then his body will accept them and it won't cause further flares?

Besides the anxiety around putting them in and getting used to "touching your eye", there should be no reason this would bother a kid with PANS more than anyone else. Both my daughters wear them quite successfully. A kid with PANS may have a more extreme anxiety pathway built-in, as their "normal" anxious behavior is like 1000% over the average person, so they may react in an "over reaction", but I bet he will do fine.

If he wants them, I would give it a go!

If you go with them, consider daily disposable (put in in the morning and throw away at night). That way, he is less likely to acquire an infection thus making things worse. I tend to believe 13 is too young for this kind of responsibility (I have worn contacts for 30 years). Hygine is paramount to good eye health in contact wearing them, and I still fudge some at my age.