ACN Latitudes Forums

Mono diagnosis today

My dd which was diagnosed with PANDAS a few months ago, underwent a tonsillectomy on June 1. She has had a terrible recovery, infection, allergic reaction to antibiotics, ect. Today she went in to see her pediatrician at the request of her surgeon. She has had an ongoing fever since the 1st. They did a strep test, which was negative and a rapid mono test which was positive! I am So surprised! They are sending her doe blood work, because they think there is something else going on as well. Anyone's kids that have a PANADAS/PANS diagnosis that got mono? How did it affect their symptoms? Thank you!

So far as I know, mono and EBV (Epstein Barr Virus) are the same. My kiddo has been EBV positive for a few years and we are trying to reduce her titers and symptoms with either herbal EBV medicines (Buhner's protocol) or traditional anti-virals (kinda alternating). We have been at it for a year and her numbers were so high we have still not gotten below the "> 600" value.

We had both Mono and EBV crop up in a situation where an unrecognized lyme bacteria had taken hold,. My understanding perhaps oversimplified is that momo and EBV are facts of life/always there but are also opportunistic and more likely to increase when someone's system is compromised, We were able to reduce both mono and EPV with homeopathy targeting both plus drainage our goal being a gentler solution. Quick results in our case.

l-lysine, an OTC amino acid, got rid of my DD's EBV within a few weeks - saw improvement w/in a few days. Other treatments hadn't been effective. Can't answer your question on any contribution to Pandas symptoms, as DD isn't my Pandas child. My Pandas child doesn't get symptoms from viral tho I know some kids do.

• 4 weeks later...

My DS had mono a couple of years ago and i didn't see any spike in symptoms as a result. As a matter of fact, when he had the symptoms of mono (fever, tiredness, sore throat) his pandas symptoms disappeared ( tics, anxiety, ocd) once mono resolved pandas symptoms started creeping back. Then started his antibiotics again.

• 2 weeks later...

The mono spot test has some known issues. The first is false positive results for people who have Lupus. Because Lupus, like PANDAS results from autoimmune irregularities, I wonder about the usefulness of the test and the validity of the results. The EBV test that was sent out should be more instructive regarding mono.

But it sounds like your daughter has been ill for quite some time. It it were me, I'd get a infectious disease doctor involved, particularly because of the antibiotic allergy. Let us know how it goes.