ACN Latitudes Forums

Steroid burst bad idea if Lyme is suspected?

My son saw Dr. K in Chicago several weeks ago & he put him on 14 days of Augmentin as a test to see if he could have PANDAS. The abx trial is over and we're supposed to e-mail Dr. K with our observations, and then he may have us do a steroid burst as well.

I just found out yesterday that I have chronic Lyme -- I'm guessing I've had it for a long, long time, if not from birth, so I could very well have passed it on to my son. I've heard that steroids are a bad idea if Lyme is suspected. Is this true? Why?

FWIW my son's symptoms seems to get mildly better at first on the abx, but were pretty much back at the end of the 14 days.

Steroids often suppress the immune response and can give a chronic infection a leg up. Hence the information you have heard regarding Lyme/steroids.

I too have Lyme and all three of our children have gestational Lyme. We did do a steroid burst with older DS prior to our Lyme diagnoses for Pandas. He seemed to be slightly better while on them but then returned quickly to his prior baseline after we completed 5 day burst.

I was given steroids while pregnant with twins which triggered high blood pressure and seizures. I was 36 1/2 weeks pregnant and they had to deliver the twin as a result of my bad state (I did not know I had Lyme).

A good friend who has chronic Lyme as well has been using a LD steroid for adrenal fatigue for over 1 1/2 years now.

Our LLMD has used steroids but only at doses that don't suppress the immune response.

A single use antibiotic will not treat Lyme and probably why you are not seeing any real gains from current antibiotic of Augmentin.

We have not used steroids with our children since initial 5 day burst and Lyme Diagnoses due to my personal experience and the symptoms it triggered for me. We use other natural anti-inflammatories like Enhansa or Turine.