ACN Latitudes Forums

How long before you see a difference with antibiotics?

My son is on a 14-day trial of antibiotics. We saw Dr. K outside of Chicago & he wasn't sure if my son actually has PANDAS or not, but he ordered bloodwork & this trial of abx. We're supposed to e-mail him at the end of it and let him know if we've seen any changes.

My son was not severely affected, but definitely had some OCD and anxiety. I think he seems better, but it's not a night and day difference. Do the abx work slowly, if they do work? Is it just too soon to say for sure?

DD symptoms of rage were severe and multiple times a day for four months. We saw an immediate change on the first day. It's been so long, I would have to take a look at my notes, I think it on took a couple of days to see considerable improvements but we were new to pandas and didn't have a clue about what was what. We also changed her diet.

We saw a difference with my daughter within in a week. By the end of a month on antibiotics her symptoms were gone, no more OCD, no more anxiety, no more moodiness, back to her happy 6 year old self. She has been on them for about 2 months now and will stay on them till school gets out to lower the risk of another infection.

pr40 thanks for sharing. I did not expect that - do you attribute that to unresolved Lyme or other?

we did igenex lyme test and three bands were mildly positive. which now i think of as false positives. I don't think they have lyme, more likely abx help regulate glutamate in the brain.

we now stopped second abx for ds and his "autistic" symptoms (wringing hands, leaning into you, obsessively pursuing one issue, etc) seem to slowly creaping in over a period of 3 weeks now.

thanks for your question

We initially tried ibuprofen while we waited for dr. appointment and saw a drastic reduction in her symptoms from that. One month later she was put on Azithromycin, and I would say we saw strong improvement after 5-7 days of that. She was doing CBT with a therapist simultaneously, which was also helpful. Both meds allowed her to use the CBT strategies and keep the OCD at bay.

It took about a month for us, but then she had a strep infection that did not clear for 60 days at the time. One of the many unfair parts of this disorder is that onset can be drastic and overnight, but it takes months to years to resolve the symptoms. We saw improvements after 30 days, but it was slow and steady improvement.

Edited by mayzoo

It's day 13 of the 14-day trial, and I honestly don't know if he's better or not.

He's been in the bathroom less (obsessively wiping is one of his symptoms), but he also says he hasn't been pooping as much. I'm wondering if the Augmentin is constipating him -- I know it's supposed to cause diarrhea, but he tends toward constipation with things.

And he seems to be washing his hands less, but he still won't use the bathroom towel because it's "too linty."

I'm guessing Dr. K will have him do the steroid burst, which I'm not nuts about, but maybe it will give us a clearer picture of what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

We saw good response within 48 hours of taking Augmentin the last time. However, my son was also prescribed an anti-inflammatory medication so it's not entirely clear which (or both) caused the improvement. We were also dealing with a current strep infection this time.