ACN Latitudes Forums

INTRUSIVE THOUGHTS?

Hi, just wanted to chime in that I'm an adult with severe OCD. I too had bothersome thoughts and started out on a couple of antidepressants that helped a bit. But what seemed to help the most was xanax. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, and I'm assuming this is for a child, so I don't know how helpful this is, but that's the reality of my experience. I feel so much for anyone that has to go through this. ((hugs))

OHMYGOSH, I would give her anything right now to help her!!! She suffers so much for so long. The thoughts are constant and then when she reaches a point where she can't take it any more she gets really impulsive and hard to be around. When she is on these strong antibiotics they don't help the insturisive thought and when the thought get unbearable while on the meds, she snaps and screams out of nowhere and it scares the heck out of me. It is so hard to explain but it's as if her thoughts boil over and she explodes. Horrible to see. She has no control over them. They are thoughts of being ugly, thought of not having a loving family on and on....Is this OCD or is this anxiety or is this all under the same roof?

Thanks both of you! She never takes her head phones off because if she does, she starts to go crazy with the thoughts. She lives with head phones on to calm her brain. I guess she focuses on the music and it stops her from concentrating on the other thoughts for awhile. I have tried many psych drug and antibiotic (but not all) but no relief..

ditto the erp, trintiybella.

and please consider some low dose psych meds, maybe a tricyclic antidepressant.

maybe those abx are not doing anything... if I recall she is on a ridiculous amount of meds, right? do you have some kind of anti-inflammatory in the mix?

she seems to be suffering so much with so many varied ssymptoms. have you considered starting from scratch with a new professional opinion (s) & a clear slate, med-wise?

Anxiety can exacerbate OCD and then visa-versa. ds15 just started Anafranil (SSNRI, low dose tricyclic antidepressant approved for resistant OCD) at a lower than therapeutic dose b/c of PANS (not as low as the 10th of a therapeutic dose Dr. Swedo recommends b/c our insurance only approves 25mg.+ capsules). If it doesn't help, we'll try a non-therapeutic dose of lithium.

ds15 has tried almost every med. and type of med. with very mixed results. We're giving Anafranil a week unless he starts to flare badly (rages and puts holes in the walls).

my daughters found great relief from anafranil for ocd and anxiety, even at the 25 mg dose. they are both now off it.

good luck to you tj21. I think it is a good med for pandas and probably very under-prescribed. my children had many interventions simultaneously with the clomipramine, so I ccannot attribute everything to itt they both felt it was very helpful at even that low dose.

they are now 17& 15. the older one was on it in some dose or another from 2009 until last week - @ doses from 25 mg, all the way up to 150mg back to 25mg, finally. the younger one was on it from 2010 until 2013, never increasing past 25 mg.

best wishes!

@powpow, thanks. That helps re. dosing experiences! Psychiatrist said to go up to 50mg (25mg 2x day) but I'm inclined to stay at 25mg. if it helps. Did you have much issue w/sunlight exposure and Anafranil?

We use Risperdal-M (rapid melt) for rages/flares. It helps but then ds15 is a mess (groggy, eats everything in site) for a day.

Edited by tj21

sunlight: yes. one daughter got pretty severe burns to her cheek not longer after starting it and sittinf at a baseball game. she is quite fair, though. the burns were more than an average sunburn and required prescription cream to heal. we were much more careful after that.

stick with 25 mg for a while, at least! (like 6 weeks maybe?)