ACN Latitudes Forums

Ceftriaxone SHOT (IM)?

Has anyone ever done an IM of Ceftriaxone (intramuscular shot)?

Did it help? DS16 had his tonsils removed two weeks ago and had "Enterobacter aerogenes" that showed it is responsive to IV or IM Ceftriaxone.

The infusion company will only do IV to a port, so we are going with IM, but I heard it is really painful and wanted to see if I could find any feedback from fellow sufferers.

I remeber Dr. Ohara talking about painful but very effective shot of abx. Anyone have ANY feedback??

Thanks as always,

T.Anna

DS16 - been through the "ringer"

We used IM with my daughter when she was 12. We iced her bottom for 15 min beforehand, gave Advil at first prior as well. They hurt but were manageable. We moved on to IV after two months so tough to say what helped the most.

I did IM Bacillin. I concur with icing before and after shot. It was very helpful. Rotate shot location. If you hit any damage tissue from prior shot area it will hurt a lot. Scratch at shot location while injecting slowly. The scratching creates nerve distraction so it doesn't hurt as much. Similar to the dentist moving your cheek around while injecting novocaine. Good luck.

We mix Ceftiaxone with Lidocaine in ER to make it less painful. With or without Lidocaine- it is NOT nearly as bad as Bicillin. My children have had 3 days of Ceftiriaxone IM in past and they both did fairly well- no major issues with pain at injection sites. It hurts at time of injection but not crazy, long lasting pain.If using Lido- patients report very little pain at all.

Bicillin is thick like syrup, we have to use larger needle just to get medicine to go from syringe through needle into muscle. Plus, the thickness of medicine in the muscle makes it more painful. Ceftiraxone is not thick like Bicillin. Usually better tolerated.

Thank you to everyone for their advice and input.

We had the first of two injections yesterday and while it was painful, it was survivable and the horrible pain passed about 15 minutes later.

A few hours later he said he no longer felt it.

Thanks again,

T.Anna

Did they use Lidocaine to mix it or not? Glad he tolerated it well. It is not pain free but tolerable.

No lidocaine. The whole process was a bit if a mess. The pharmacy didn't give us a syringe/needle or sterile water. But it all came together at the last minute. Would lidocaine make it less painful? Do you think the pharmacy would sell that to me or would it need to be part of a new script?

T.ann

No lidocaine. The whole process was a bit if a mess. The pharmacy didn't give us a syringe/needle or sterile water. But it all came together at the last minute. Would lidocaine make it less painful? Do you think the pharmacy would sell that to me or would it need to be part of a new script?

T.ann

Yes, it needs to be part of order, unfortunately. And, yes it is less painful, for sure!! How could they expect you to give IM injection without needle or syringe--jeez. Or, any dilutant to mix medicine. It doesn't magically go out of vial into muscle.