ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS in adults - good link

I think this is a good link. Our dd had the overnight urinary frequency, anxiety, bouts of OCD etc. Morphed into anorexia nervosa, and then no one wanted to consider anything BUT the anorexia - which means psych med after psych med, therapists trying to find out the "root" cause of her anorexia. Not the MEDICAL root cause. Years and years wasted. And still, the eating disorder places roll their eyes at the mention of PANDAS. And I am the bad parent when I don't just go along with the "experts". I'm so very sick of this. We've had Dr. K (Chicago) and Dr. L (Georgetown) both diagnose her with PANDAS, yet we don't feel we can have team support with the current eating disorder team.

Anyhoo, I just wish we had more psychiatrists that think like this:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/attention-please/201501/adult-pandas-seek-and-ye-shall-find

It has gotten so bad, most lay folks I speak with are unaware psychiatrists are medical docs first and psychiatry is their specialty :(. Sorry you are going through this.

Kiddo had/has anorexia at first and in a really bad flare, BUT my kiddos is usually short lived (4-6 weeks) and is helped greatly by abx or steroids.