ACN Latitudes Forums

Thank you for the Forum and Sheila!

hkginger

Back in summer and fall last year, I have posted for help with my 5 year old, who has chronic motor tics and possibly tourette. I am happy to report that my 6 year old's tics has been 98% gone.

Thanks to Sheila's book,"Natural Treatments for Tics and Tourette's: A Patient and Family Guide" which gave me hope last summer and thanks to Chemar and other experienced parents who spared time to answer my questions.

In summary, we have implemented diet change and environmental improvement since Sept 8 after we came back from Hong Kong. Changes included: Dairy 100% free, Gluten 100% free, cut sugar by 60%, no commercial baking food, cut artificial colors and preservatives by 90%, cut MSG 100%. Cut ipad time to two hours a week only. I give him probiotics twice a day, papaya enzymes at every meal. Move him out of the carpeted bedroom, use dust mite covers on all beddings and organic cotton top sheets. The main trigger for my son's bad tics was dairy!!!!! In Sept and October, his tics started to decrease but still had better day and worse days! By the end of December, I started to see consistency, most obvious motor tics including grimaces, neck turning and repetitive blinkings, etc are gone EVEN when watching TV. Now, other people can't notice he has any tics at all.

I am very thankful to all your help!

Barbara G (hkginger)

Hi Barbara,

We were so happy to read your post about your success in treating your young boy, with help from the forums and our book.

I apologize for the delay in responding, I'm out of town. You really did a wonderful job in attacking the environmental and diet issues, plus limiting ipad use. Your son is lucky to have you for a mom.

It's interesting that you eventually found dairy to be one of the worst triggers. Your message is so helpful, and I know it is appreciated by Chemar and others on the forum who offered their suggestions.

I'm going to be sending a PM to you!

• 3 weeks later...

Barbara

That is such good news, I don't know where any of us would be if not for Latitude and Sheila, it was the best thing to ever happen for my son. When his tic erupted, it was such a difficult time for all of us and the medical profession and Tourettes Association here in Australia was of no use. I'm just thankful I found this site as it changed all our lives.

Now I look back and I'm thankful for the TS, because now I have learned so much, have made many changes and we are certainly on a different path in life. Like you my son's tics are fairly non existent, still there from time to time but no longer having an impact on his life. I'm very thankful.

Lyn