ACN Latitudes Forums

Where do I begin?! 2.5 year old started tics almost 8 months ago...

jclewis33

Hey everyone,

I am new to researching everything but I am definatley one that does better knowing information. I guess my biggest question right now is where do i begin??

My son started ticcing around his 2nd birthday. I cant pin point the day, but I do know its been almost 8 months. At first I didnt really pay any attention to it.. i thought it was him being itchy. We decided to go the allergy route because I myself have EoE and a soy allergy. We had regular allergy testing done and no foods showed up- only a few environmental. The doc put him on allergy meds which have not done anything. He is still doing these movements. He actaully has quite a few. He does ear swiping/hitting, hair swiping, brings his ear to his shoulder, rubs his chin on his chest, sometimes brings his arm up while he is touching his ear to shoulder, purses his lips, sniffs in. Are these considered tics? He does them every day, all day long. I have noticed he does them more when eating and watching tv. Also when he is playing he really does the ear swiping. If anyone can offer any advice or direction that would be so helpful. I know he is young, and I have read that some times kids tic and then it goes away. Im obviously hoping that is what will happen but I am also concerned because he seems to have alot. Thanks so much

Cristi

Had you had your son tested for strep, or blood work done for strep titers? If the movements seems ritualistic then it might be OCD. Since he is so young some of the movements may be tics and other OCD, but only you would know seeeing you observe him. The blood titers to test for is ASO, DNAose, and Mycoplasma. You may want to even try an ellimination diet. Do a gluten free/dairy free diet for 30 days and no preservatives such as BHT, BHA, Polysorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, artificial ingredients and Soy. After 30 days reintroduce gluten wait a few weeks and then do dairy. Whether or not strep is an issue gluten and dairy do cause inflammation. My kids like Rice Milk with their cereal. Which state do you reside in? Do you have a doctor who treats PANDAS kids?

trishb,

I was reading about PANDAS/PANS yesterday. I understand some of it. Im confused how the strep/ strep titers work. He has never had strep throat?? I guess I need it explained in a different way to me. Could he have strep this whole time without knowing?? what will the other blood titers show?? Im so glad you brought this part of it up because I had so many questions about it. My husband and I both remember him having a high fever before all this started but it went away within a day. not sure if it has anything to do with it. id love it if you could help me out with understanding how PANDAS/PANS works.

my oldest daughter got strep all the time. starting at age 2. (she is 8 now) she is anxious and "strong willed" but after reading PANDAS i wondered about her as well. can you have PANDAS without tics??

The diet recommendations are great. It's something thats already taking place in our house for myself and my oldest daughter. I just started her on one for stomach issues, anxiety, behavioral issues. I have been seeing a nutrisionist for my eoe. I have had thyroid issues in the past and currently have EoE which are both autoimmune. so im trying to see also if there is any connection. i know autoimmune issues can be passed down. i think it will be helpful that i have alot of knowledge and experience with autoimmune stuff and inflammation issues. He currently doesnt drink milk, doesnt get much processed stuff but i will check the few we have. We do let him have some gluten snacks because toddler are hard to get to eat sometimes. but i will take out that bit too.

sorry if my reply seems all over the place... my mind is spinning with information and just trying to put it all together lol

also we live in San Antonio, Texas. We havent seen a doctor for any of this yet. I started doing my own research and posted his videos to a pages and everyone thought they looked like tics. Im sure i need to see our pedi about it. can he run these tests or should i just go straight to a doctor that specializes in these things??

ive been reading it a bit more and im not so sure the PANDAS or PANS sounds like them. my daughter has mild anxiety nothing major (i get the same thing when i eat my food allergens)

and my 2 year old def doesnt have any behavioral issues that are outside of normal toddler things. hmmm this is so confusing!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I haven't been on this since I posted to you. Please feel free to email me if you need to reach me. My email is trishb722@msn.com. My doctor said that kids can have negative strep tests but have strep in your system. It can be in your throat, nose, gut etc. you can research it. My youngest gets impetigo around her nose. It looked like her skin was irritated and I did not know it was strep. I was at a PANDAS conference and they were talking about Impatigo and pulled up a picture and it looked exactly like what my daughter had on her nose. By having the blood work done it will give you a baseline and let you see if anything is elevated. For example when my son first started with tics his titer was below normal at 50 so he wasn't able to fight an infection, then when everything came on suddenly I kept having blood work done because the doctors kept saying this is normal with the rise of his titers because he had strep and it's in his system. When things were at there worst he titer was at 1250, so it went from 50 to 1250. It should have been between 150-200. I hope that helps. Titers should be normal but there are other things an Immunologist checks for too. There might be other infections going on.