ACN Latitudes Forums

Babesia

Old timer here- just found out my daughter tested positive for babesia, after all these years. She tested positive for babesia duncan, so officially the 3 B's (borrelia, bartonella, babesia). She is positive for babesia through igenex, bartonella through quest, borrelia through Advanced lab culture and Igenex. Anyway, picking up her new treatment tomorrow. Any advice on new treatment? I assume I should expect a herx?

DD13 was negative for both duncani and microti through Igenex and was asymptomatic for babesia throughout bartonella treatment - all symptoms were indicative of bartonella, but the LLMD couldn't get her past 80% improvement with bart abx.

It wasn't until I trialled some of the herbs from Buhner's babesia protocol, specifically CSA (combo tincture of cryptolepis, sida acuta, alchornea) that she developed classic babesia symptoms from the herx reaction, and was then clinically diagnosed with babesia by our LLMD.

Her herx symptoms included chest pressure, dry cough (pretty continuous - I initially thought it was a tic), air hunger and plenty of sighing. She also experienced pain in the large muscles of her legs (especially the thighs) while walking.

After treating babesia the rest of her bartonella and PANS symptoms pretty much resolved. She still has some residual (1-2/10) motor ticcing, mostly mouth movements, which may be associated with the ortho work she is having done - extraction, wires, etc.

Over the course of the year she has had the flu, the stomach flu and a couple of fevers, with no flare of either PANS symptoms or bart/babs symptoms.

Hopefully babesia treatment will bring your daughter some resolution as well.

Edited by rowingmom

Our LLMD prescribed malarone which, when looking back at my charts, produced significant reduction in ADHD and improvement in cognitive/executive ability. It, however did nothing to improve the remaining bartonella pain symptoms that she was still experiencing.

Because DD didn't herx with malarone, we had no indication that babesia was involved, other than observing the cognitive improvements when on the drug.

DD didn't have an nausea or vomiting associated with malarone, just an immediate improvement (within 8 hours) in cognitive/executive function and decrease in ADHD.

I didn't treat it any differently from the other abx and dosed it away from probiotics.

Frankly I have seen more improvement with CSA (WoodLandEssence combination tincture of cryptolepis, sida acuta, alchornea) than I did with malarone.

Edited by rowingmom

• 3 weeks later...

Dd is having a very tough time with the babesia treatment (malarone, and then Enula 1 drop added 3 days ago), and I'm also exhausted from her symptoms as well. I would like to give her a 2-3 week break. Do I risk an issue with resistance? tia

My son took zith with malarone for babesia. He couldn't stomach mepron. It was the Artemesia that he herxed the most on. He didn't make it to full dose for 6 months. He pulsed 10 days a month. He also tried Alinia.

Good luck.

We've had the most significant improvement with artemisinim. This also produced a strong herx so we have gone very low and slow, very low dose and i'm actually seeing improvement past our 75% improvement level.

Also if rowingmom sees this i want to thank her for mentioning diatomaceous earth for detox. The ticcing has calmed down alot!

Edited by katgrein