ACN Latitudes Forums

Thoughts Welcomed

I am trying to figure if my daughter has PANS. She was hospitalized at the end of August with a respiratory infection that they said was atypical pneumonia. After this she started to have OCD flares. SOmetimes it would be bad, extremely worried about germs, itchy her skin like crazy, crying that she doesnt know how to stop, using lots of hand sanitizer and washing hands. Then it would get better. I noticed that when she had some respiratory thing going on, her symptoms were worse but just thought she had some OCD. On Christmas Eve she ended at urgent care with another respiratory infection. She went home on prednisone and the next day had severe onset OCD. Lots of crying/screaming, using hand sanitizer till her hands bled, going to the bathroom a lot, wiping obsessively because she didn't want to have pee drips, changing her clothes repeatedly because she thought she was wet and she wasn't, not sitting on certain things, holding her hands together cause she didn't want to touch anything, nightmares and screaming at night worried about being tired. We could not leave the house for a couple days because it was so bad. After a few days, it got better but her OCD is still here and worse than before. Strep test were negative.

I plan to make an appt tomorrow with a dr. that specializes in PANS (Dr. Jolan Walter at Mass General is who I want to see if anyone has experience). Trying to see what people with PANS/PANDAS experience think. Does this sound like PANS?

Thanks for any insight. This is all so new and overwhelming to me. :)

I'm relatively new to this too, but sure, that sounds like it to me.

Rather than strep being the culprit, perhaps it might be mycoplasma pneumonia, considering the respiratory infection issues. Was she on an antibiotic with the atypical pneumonia?

Two of my kids had atypical pneumonia a few years ago, as in, they were hospitalized and the doctors couldn't quite decide based on the x-ray whether it was viral, bacterial or mycoplasma, or more likely some combination, so they went with combination antibiotics. Looking back, I feel sure mycoplasma was in the mix, for a number of reasons.

Edited by jan251

At least one parent here has found PANS exacerbations with mycoplasma infection. There were underlying difficulties with lyme and coinfections as well.

Check hopeny's archived posts for more information.

Edited by rowingmom

She was on antibiotics for 5 days when she was in the hospital. There was no symptoms while she was in the hospital but I noticed an increase after. She was on no antibiotics after this massive onset of symptoms. She has just been using her inhalers to help the respiratory issues.

Will check the archives for hopeny posts.

Thanks,

The only thing my dd has tested positive for so far (it's been 1 year now) is mycoplasma pneumonia. She had "pneumonia" 2 summers before onset, and a history of long lasting and frequent, troublesome coughing, but never strep or anything as far as we're aware. The one time she was actually x-rayed for pneumonia, her pedi told me "her lungs sound clear" but I asked for the X-ray anyway because her cough just seemed too intense to just be a cold. I now wonder how many other times it was actually pneumonia and not just a cold..... Ironically, since Pans onset guess what? No coughing at all for the past year. Her IGG was finally in range approx 7 months into treatment. IGM is still over 5 (should be <.9 ).

We suspect Bartonella as well, but haven't seen a positive test.... Yet.

• 4 months later...

I am trying to figure if my daughter has PANS. She was hospitalized at the end of August with a respiratory infection that they said was atypical pneumonia. After this she started to have OCD flares. SOmetimes it would be bad, extremely worried about germs, itchy her skin like crazy, crying that she doesnt know how to stop, using lots of hand sanitizer and washing hands. Then it would get better. I noticed that when she had some respiratory thing going on, her symptoms were worse but just thought she had some OCD. On Christmas Eve she ended at urgent care with another respiratory infection. She went home on prednisone and the next day had severe onset OCD. Lots of crying/screaming, using hand sanitizer till her hands bled, going to the bathroom a lot, wiping obsessively because she didn't want to have pee drips, changing her clothes repeatedly because she thought she was wet and she wasn't, not sitting on certain things, holding her hands together cause she didn't want to touch anything, nightmares and screaming at night worried about being tired. We could not leave the house for a couple days because it was so bad. After a few days, it got better but her OCD is still here and worse than before. Strep test were negative.

I plan to make an appt tomorrow with a dr. that specializes in PANS (Dr. Jolan Walter at Mass General is who I want to see if anyone has experience). Trying to see what people with PANS/PANDAS experience think. Does this sound like PANS?

Thanks for any insight. This is all so new and overwhelming to me. :)

I'm curious to hear what you have found out here. My daughter has been diagnosed with PANDAS with high strep titers, and even though her mycoplasma pneumonia numbers are very high, they want to treat her for Barbesia. I don't want to go down the Mepron route just yet. Wondering if you had any luck treating the pneumonia or got a medical opinion.

I just read through some of your other posts and realized you also responded very kindly to mine yesterday. I am glad to hear you are in with a good doctor and are getting what seems to be good help.