ACN Latitudes Forums

why can reducing inflammation reduce motor tics?

I've been here in recent weeks with questions about motor tics. and now here's a new one.

what does it mean that when my son (with lyme) was sick with a cold (or flu?) and was feverish for two days, that when I gave him ibuprofen for about a 36 hour period I saw basically no tics. maybe two at most.

he's been ticcing for about two months. At times it's been virtually gone, and then it will flare for a day or two (usually when I add back an herb, or his monolaurin or something), but it never really has been 100% since Oct., only almost gone. Many days almost gone, but not gone.

but…I noticed that while sick those 2 days- no ticcing (again maybe 1-2 tics). Then I remembered how I've read people saying they give their children ibuprofen or some other anti-inflammatory (like curcumin, which I just finally bought today).

anyone know why reducing inflammation reduces tics? I've read how bacterial endo-toxins and yeast (in effect cause ticcing) do cause inflammation, so it makes sense what the inflammation is most likely coming from, but that's very interesting that reducing the inflammation made a huge difference.

so much to learn. thanks for any info!

Edited by stacestar

thanks guys. I've heard good things about enhansa. I may order some, or the meriva curcumin which I've heard good things about too. Neither are available in stores here so I got a Terry Naturals product called Curamed, with Curcumin BCM 95. Maybe that will help until I can get an order from online.

I do have to add a big thank goodness, that the tics have settled down again today (starting yesterday, but especially today).

from the 23rd-27th they were off the charts for him. It was hard to see.

My theory is: yeast and lyme die-off again. He's been doing herbs for lyme and we go SLOWLY or he herxes badly. Anyway, he had a dumb ear infection a couple of weeks ago and was on amoxicillin for ten days. During those ten days there were holiday parties with sugar and bad foods too. I think the amoxicillin increased yeast (and got some lyme probably too).

The last three days we've focused on detox and no more bad food (cookies, cakes, candies that he had at Christmas time; back to our anti-yeast diet). I've given him spoonful after spoonful of coconut oil, chlorella, clay baths, and lots of water. I think this is what's helped, b/c the tics have really decreased today (a bit yesterday too).

I'm going to try the curcumin today too.

thanks again!

Hi Stacestar! I mostly read the posts here but wanted to comment on this one. My dd6 also when has a bad cold with some fever would stop ticcing . I would give her ibuprofin but when her fever goes away in a few days she would go back to have tics even if i give her ibuprofin . I did some research and i might be wrong but from what i understand running a fever is a healthy immune response that is why it is not attacking the brain . I noticed this with my daughter in about 4-5 colds but only when she used to run fever . Now if she is sick she doesn't run fever anymore at all , which indicates that her immune system needs to be fixed ....

Edited by valsmom

thanks worrieddadandmom and valsmom for the replies.

I've yet to try the curcumin I did buy (Terry Naturals), b/c to tell the truth, I worry now about everything I give him, that it might cause a flare I mean, but I know that I have to try new things, like the curcumin, so I think I will tomorrow.

The ticcing still hasn't 100% resolved. It's gotten a lot, lot less since a Christmas (that week was bad). It's very frustrating and disheartening to not see it gone yet.

But keep trying we will until it's gone.

thanks valsmom for that idea. Does that mean the anti-inflammatories won't get rid of all ticcing though? I guess really of course the goal is to get what is causing the inflammation (the root), and then the inflammation won't happen.