ACN Latitudes Forums

Magnesium makes her nicer but...

My child gets so aggressive on the abx. because I think they make her thoughts worse. I can't give up on them because they help with other symptoms, plus we have nothing else left to try to help her. Anyway...magnesium citrate seems to help with focus and calm the thoughts but how high can I go on this supplement? She is taking 200mg right now. Thank You.

You can go as high as bowel tolerance will allow (any higher will cause diarrhea). DD13 gets 300 mg in the am before school and 300 mg at night before bed.

Other forms of magnesium may not have bowel tolerance issues, ie magnesium glycinate, magnesium malate or magnesium taurate, but I'm not sure as we have never used higher doses of any of them.

Our LLMD had DD on mag taurate (in addition to taurine) for a long time, but I found it cheaper to use mag citrate and taurine. She said that taurine is essential for children/people with neurological problems.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/2013/6/The-Forgotten-Longevity-Benefits-of-Taurine/Page-01Taurine: One of the Most Essential Substances in the Body!

• It increases the action of insulin, improving glucose tolerance, and acting as an antioxidant.67
  • It is vital for the proper function of the minerals potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sodium.68
  • Taurine regulates heart rhythm, cardiac contraction, blood pressure, and platelet aggregation,69,70 and regulates the excitability of neurons.69
  • It detoxifies liver cells of various toxins.71-74
  • It helps form bile acids and maintains cell membrane stability.9
  • It reduces the synthesis of lipids and cholesterol that are associated with atherosclerosis.75

Magnesium chloride can also be purchased as a liquid/gel that is applied topically, negating bowel tolerance difficulties.

Edited by rowingmom