ACN Latitudes Forums

Last night, one of the times DD woke me to go to the bathroom with her..., she told me she was feeling like she wasn't getting enough air even though all she had done was walk to the bathroom and back to bed. She said it had been happening lately. (She also has complained recently about how often she has to go to the bathroom--like she drinks and it goes right through her. I agree that 2 or 3 times a night is a pain.) Her other comment last night was that she felt like she had something in her throat right about where the notch is to her chest.

I can relate to the air feeling. I experienced that when my thyroid went crazy and I had Graves disease, now in remission. DD has tested recently again for thyroid levels which were fine. She takes levothyroxine and has had elevated thyroid auto-antibodies. But her feeling of need for more air could be...what???

The feeling of something in her throat could be...also related to thyroid...or what???

The frequent urination could be...what??? She also has history of elevated auto-antibodies related to diabetes, has had mildly elevated glucose, done glucose monitoring, and recently tested glucose again with visit to endocrinologist. Had best glucose level so far in her testing--"normal" and doc not concerned.

Any thoughts?

Frequent urination is a classic PANS symptom.

I'm not sure where you live, but I'm in CT and this time of year the mold spores are high. I have an allergic reaction to them that causes similar symptoms to what your DD has, with breathing difficulty and the postnasal drip causing me to clear my throat a lot. Maybe some Zyrtec would help?

My DS diagnosed with Babasia and Bartinella and he had same breathing issue. Only in the evening!! Dr B calls it "air hunger". He also has bladder spasms and sometimes goes several times in a hour. Pans/Lymes looks to be the picture. He also sufferes from sore feet and headaches! Good Luck!! and God Bless!!

Air hunger can be a symptom of Babesia, which often accompanies Lyme, Bartonella and other tick-bourne infections. You should consider having her evaluated for these infections by an experienced Lyme-literate doctor. You can ask on this forum for doctor recommendations in your area. Many kids who have PANDAS/PANS also turn out to have Lyme & co., so there's a good chance someone on the forum will know of a good doctor in your area who can investigate this for you.

She could also be having panic attacks which can feel like shortness of breath/racing heart. Also, anxiety causes this which is one of the main symptoms of pandas/pans. I had a lot of anxiety when I was just out of college/ just married/ and starting my first real job. It all hit me at once. I really felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I was trying to take deep breaths like yawning and couldn't do it. It was very scary. I went to my doctor and they ran a lot of tests only to tell me it was most likely anxiety. Well, ya think..... Funny thing was, I didn't think I was stressed at all. Life was good. I thought to myself, this doctor is crazy, I am not stressed or anxious. Yeah right. Anyway, my point is your daughter may be feeling really worried about something, maybe bad dreams, scary books or movies she has seen, or something she has manufactured in her head (pandas kids are good at that). Maybe she is worried about getting ill or the health of a family member. Try to ask if she has been worried or obsessing about anything. Believe me it doesn't take much in some people.