ACN Latitudes Forums

Slow Auditory Processing....

Hello, I feel lucky that I have this educated group to turn to when looking for possible solutions. :)

My NON-Pandas child just finished testing. He came up very low, 10%, with processing speed. Auditory primarily affected. Examiner feels that this is "root" cause for his reading/spelling/comprehension problems. This processing problem also granted him an ADHD and reading LD dx.

Doc feels that meds would speed up processing issues and explained that 'slow processing" is what "causes" ADHD??????

Dr. Greenblatt will weigh in via phone, and if he agrees that meds could help I will go with his recommendation.

Q: Anybody have any luck with any programs (to do at home), that can help speed up/strengthen this area?

Thanks,

Q

Be specific - what test are you referring to? Psychs typically refer to "Processing speed" as the section of a test such as the WISC, which is comprised of two subsections, and those two subsections deal with scanning/tracking and motor speed. Those subsections do not test auditory processing speed.

On the other hand, auditory reasoning and auditory comprehension can be a problem, but they are not typically referred to as being of "slow speed" (even though that's the upshot). There are tests that can be performed by Speech and Language Pathologists.

Still another possible angle is auditory processing disorder of one type or another, with testing by a specific type of audiologist (this is controversial).

I have a ds who is low in both processing speed (specifically, the Coding subtest of the WISC) and auditory reasoning and comprehension on a language test (I can't remember if it was the TAPS or the CTOPP, etc.). However, he does *not* have ADHD and does not have a working memory problem. On top of that, he's not permitted to take stimulant meds anyway due to another health condition. However, at the same time, he is extremely bright; input and output are slow (particularly through auditory and written channels), but internal thinking is very fast.

So, all that to say that NO, I do not think that slow processing of any kind is a cause of ADHD. Yes, many people with ADHD may have various forms of slow processing, but the "causes" of ADHD are multi-factorial and indeed no one knows the true root cause.

FWIW, it seems that many people with ADHD have both slow Processing Speed (the motor kind) and Working Memory issues (another subsection of the WISC) though it is critical to note that these same issues are common among most different types of learning disabilities/differences, not just ADHD.

There are some books you might find interesting in light of PANDAS, such as Goldberg's The Myth of Autism (am I remembering that right) and Bugs, Biology and Behavior. If I recall, both discuss ADHD. At a more basic level, you might also check out the Eide's The Mislabeled Child, which is almost surely available at your library.

Adding: if reading and spelling are a problem, I would also want to rule out developmental vision issues with a COVD optometrist.

Adding, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if there were a PANDAS-style, immune or other biochemical reason for slow processing speed. I've tried to look into it however and not found anything.

Edited by jan251

Don't rule out PANDAS... We were told our son has auditory processing disorder, but I found it interesting that a top PANDAS doc, who we took our daughter to, made the comment that he felt our son probably had PANDAS, too. We've been too busy taking care of PANDAS daughter to pursue help for son, but definitely want to look more into that when we can.

When he was younger he went through a few periods with shoulder tics, became socially anxious overnight, and does present occasionally with urinary issues when stressed. He has some OCD tendencies, and definitely some sensory issues.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, in case you've noticed other symptoms.

My son has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD or just APD) There is a great book called "When the Brain Can't Hear" by Teri James Bellis. Has nothing to do with hearing and everything to do with how brain processes information that is heard. We used a program developed by a LSU PhD audiologist and my son made great strides with his disorder. Causes great comprehension issues.

You would need more formal testing to prove this disorder but once it is proven there is treatment available. Biofeedback is also helpful. PM me for more info.

When DS, now in the 5th grade, had a neuropsychological evaluation through the school when he was in 2nd grade, the school psychologist made a referral to BOCES for auditory processing testing. His hearing has always been fine but he continues to be below average in 4 categories tested by the audiologist (auditory figure-ground, staggered word test, filtered speech, and functional listening evaluation). Through BOCES he is supplied with a HAT/FM system (HAT = hearing assistance technology), he continues to attend public school in a blended class. This system looks like a Bluetooth he wears and his teacher wears a microphone. Although it's not a cure all for his auditory processing, it helps diminish background noise and also helps with focus. The audiologist visits him in class yearly, we go to BOCES for retesting yearly, and the audiologist participates in all IEP/CSE meetings.

911 -- how is that disorder tested or proven?

My son had specialized testing done by qualified Speech Pathologist. It is also done by qualified Audiologists. I highly recommend the book I stated as a great reference and guide in this diagnosis. You will "see" your child unfold within the pages of her descriptions if your child has this disorder. Then you will know to persue futher testing. You may have to call out patient therapy centers to see if they have pathologist qualified to do testing and have the equipment. The younger you treat the better to develop neuro pathways. We also used some of the HAT equipment when he was younger but no longer do so.

thanks 911! I read that book back in the day and thought it may be something to consider. we did some testing with a 'sound guy' - I can't really remember, I think his practice was some combination of speech therapists and OTs. he didn't have so much for us because of course, ds tested as a 'maybe' for whatever he was testing - as he did for every other condition or syndrome -- but a 'slam dunk' for PANDAS. we considered doing therapeutic listening - even bought high quality headphones for it - but didn't pursue it. likely some other trauma or drama drew our attention away.

as ds got healthier - he lost a lot of the concerns that were sending me down that path.

he recently had active lyme, which, thankfully, he seems to be out of exacerbation from.

however, when I've seen mention of auditory issues, it grabs my attention again. -- perhaps this exacerbation inflamed those issues again. it might be good to read the book again.

I heard from a music therapist at a recent TACA meeting. she was quite interesting. ds seems to know what to do socially, but doesn't so much always put it into practice. she was thinking she may have an impact.

thanks!

smartyjones -- I have been following this thread but have hestitated to post because I'm not sure how applicable my experience is.

My son had auditory processsing issues before I even heard of PANDAS and was diagnosed with a language diorder when he was four and a half (something called mixed expressive receptive langauge disorder). We tried adderrall when he a bit over 6 (he was later diagnosed with ADHD) and it made him talk, very manically. But he was also in throes of undiagnosed PANDAS at the time.

I do not know if auditory processing issues are like to autoimmune responses to infections, but I do know my son's langauge and processing improved quite a bit after an initial round of antiobiotics following the PANDAS onset, and then REALLY improved with a 6 weak course of oral steroids.

He has done a series of ivig/iv steroids this year. The infusions have helped his langauge in that we have seen improved expressive language. Sometimes his processing and responses though do seem rather slow, though..

We have done the listening programs over the years. We're always told our son responds well to it and enjoys it, but it hasn't struck me as a game-changer, certainly not one with long-term effects...