ACN Latitudes Forums

Doc wants to do surgery.

She's five years old has down syndrome with chronic sinus infections/cold/congestion from fall through spring. Usually has to be on anabiotic's for months. ENT is now talking about surgery. I told her I would do everything I could try before thinking about surgery. Do any of you have any suggestions. Thanks so much.

would she allow you to do the netti-pod? I had CHRONIC sinus infections for 3 years from august thru Feb. I stared using the netti-pod 3x day for one month and not only did I not need abx, moving forward, I started using at the start of the season, 1x day. I have not had ONE infection since. It has been 3 years since last infection

what kind of surgery? Perhaps there is a good reason?

Is this a PANS/PANDAS kid? If she has enlarged or infected tonsils/adenoids, they could certainly be causing (antaomically) an obstruction and the congestion. That congestion could sure be a breeding ground for infection, and then,we all know what can come from infection hanging around :(

Especially, with down syndrome, the structure of the face is different, and I think the sinus/nasal structure may lend itself to these problems due to flat nasal bridge and small sinuses.

Neti-pots are awesome, I had the same experience as qannie- but you have to be 100% sure you are using sterile water (boiled and cooled or equivalent)

Maybe a steroid nasal spray? (Unfortunately, most kids will not go for either of those!)

Can you get a second opinion from another ENT?

So sorry- I didn't realize your daughter was so young- thought she was older. My daughter had sinus issues from age 18months to age 7 when she received ivig. Our ent recommended surgery but thought the issues might return because at that time we didn't know the underlying cause (6 yrs ago). Most doctors said allergies, but nothing helped except constant antibiotics to treat the sinus infections. The allergy sprays and meds had an opposite effect. Ivig took care of all my daughter's sinus issues. I'm about to hop on a plane so sorry for any typos. Thinking of you!