ACN Latitudes Forums

supplement brands--does it really matter?

My answer would be many times. For instance, Omega3 fish oil. You want a quality brand that filters it and sources the oil from fish without contaminants. For calcium, there are forms that are not easily absorbable so you want to read labels. In general, better brands(read those that cost more) are the ones that have better quality. It's not necessary in most cases to buy the most expensive brand, but I would not buy a stores generics like a Walmart or Meijers brand vitamin or supplement.

yea I second nicklemama, we have purchased the generic stuff from riteaid and csv and in the case of alergy medication the generic stuff, although it says it's the same, it didn't perform the same as the branded.

I'd say if you are sure the source is "exactly" the same and has same production just a different label then it's just about the label.

I think I've read Nordic Naturals is good for fish oil, right?

I spent a lot of time reading about probiotics and purchased Ultra Jarro Dophilis. Also alternate that with a probiotic from GNC--one that doesn't have a "strep" ingredient. Any redirection on this?

Lyme literate nurse practitioner recommended Researched Nutritionals Liposomal Glutathione (but DD won't try this).

Using melatonin from Walmart...

Got CBD from Bluebird Botanicals.

So if testing or doc recommend other vitamin/mineral supplementation, is the general advice to avoid Walmart? What about GNC?

The short answer is "You get what you pay for". We could not/would not mess with what the doc was saying to do.

For us we have used the exact stuff that the doc prescribed. Nordic naturals is good. Kirkman, Klair, Prothera, Lee Silsby, Pure Encapsulations are all brands our doc recommended and we purchase from him directly at a nominal upcharge. We get free shipping However, we have bought big box store OTC--- Zinc, vitamin c, St Johns wort maybe a few others. I would think melatonin would be OK.

As for the probiotics......Staying away from strep containing ones would be advisable. Also, many of the probiotics listed above are compliant to GFCF, GAPS, SCD and other food sensitivity diets.

Many if not all the brands listed above can be had over the internet probably lower than a retail establishment.

For melatonin, any brand that works. Nordic Naturals is a good brand fish oil. I give my son Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega. It has the amount of EPA the doc recommended. Carlsons makes good fish oils, too, and there are others. I use Carlsons vitamin E and A. I know the oils used in them are high quality.

I give my son Jarrow brand saccromyces boulliardi.

Refrigerated probiotics are your best bet. Klair has a good reputation. We use Thera Detoxification Support that the doc recommended. There are other good brands of probiotics.

A lot of people order from swanson's online for some of the best pricing. I read a lot of reviews before ordering. Some things of importance I go strictly by brand doc says, for others I get permission or run a brand by him. For Olive Leaf Extract, Seagate is the best.

K