ACN Latitudes Forums

Exercise induced anger/emotions

DS, 15, came home from Wrestling tonight and he is like another person (not a good thing). He is exhausted, emotional, screaming and crying. He always works really hard at practice and this is not the first time this has happened.

I looked up exercise-induced brain swelling and the description comes up for hyponatremia.

Anyone have any experience with this concept?

Don't know anything about that particular condition, sorry. But when I saw your topic heading, the first thing I thought was: increased testosterone. Could that possibly be a contributing culprit?

My DS is not into athletics, but I know two things have contributed to his agitation in the past: 1) puberty, in general, at the onset of which he became highly emotional, argumentative and defensive; and 2) being in crowded, chaotic and/or competitive situations where he otherwise "sucks it up" in terms of his sensibilities and "deals," but then when he comes home, he's done and needs to "let it all hang out" and can get emotional and "tender."

Haven't been on this site for a while which means we are doing pretty well here. :-)

This was a HUGE issue for my daughter when she was playing tennis....or doing anything physical. After one tennis match, we literally had to take her to Urgent Care as she was totally out of control. I did extensive research at the time and came to the conclusion that it could have something to do with BH4 levels. I made this connection because she seemed to do well when she had one of those vitamin waters (I know they are not recommended by purists but they certainly helped her). Not the sugary gatorades. Just the vitamin water with vitamin B and C and a few other things. After noticing that it worked, I increased her B complex daily and added royal jelly capsules. Royal Jelly is a fair source of BH4. We continue this even though it has been a couple of years since we have had a major problem. Go to Dr. Yasko's site and read up on the BH4 connection. It is critical and often overlooked in the equation. Dr. Yasko stresses the importance of it when laying the foundation for healing. Sure helped us and I make sure she never goes a day without it and the Mitoforce (b vitamin supplement that helps with mitochondrial support). I truly believe it is a mitochondrial issue but haven't found a traditional doctor who could help us. To get into the metabolic clinic at Duke, you have to have a clear diagnosis and be referred by a doctor. We all know that PANS is not considered a clear diagnosis by traditional doctors. We are left to figure it our on our own.

QueenMother

I wonder if it isn't the exercise so much as the competition, and emotional situation? I guess the thing would be to try some other type of exercise (like running in a non-competitive fashion) and see if you get have the same issues.