ACN Latitudes Forums

Why does behavior improve with a cold/fever?

ssfkat

Every time my daughter gets a fever for any reason, or has a cold, her behavior improves. She is calmer and more agreeable and her tantrums decrease noticeably.

She is not currently on any meds, as we are still working with the dr. to try to get testing done, etc.

What would cause improvement in behavior??

Every time my daughter gets a fever for any reason, or has a cold, her behavior improves. She is calmer and more agreeable and her tantrums decrease noticeably.

She is not currently on any meds, as we are still working with the dr. to try to get testing done, etc.

What would cause improvement in behavior??

I have noticed the same thing with myself. It feels as if it puts a stopperr on the activation.

We observed this reaction to fever, but not necessarily to a cold. DD13 also reacted to fever with a decrease in Asperger's and Tourette's symptoms as well as a decrease in the physical pain caused by bartonella (especially shin pain and headache).

I remember one day when she stayed home from school with a fever (she rarely has fevers), she was feeling so good that we went for a bike ride. She said she noticed a significant decrease in pain and that her ticcing that day was minimal.

My thought is that perhaps, just for the time that the fever is being produced, the immune system is acting in a more normal fashion. Just get ready for a flare of behaviour/symptoms after the fever has resolved - fever will cause a die-off (herx) reaction as bacteria are lysed and endo/exotoxins are released.

Edited by rowingmom

My answer is more autoimmune in nature. If these kids have autoimmune repsonse that is constantly attacking brain (remember it is the antibodies causing the problem NOT the actual infection in PANDAS/PANS etc) then in the presense of infection/fever then the body is concentrating more on that issue. The immune system is busy working elsewhere rather than attacking itself. In other words, immune system is "distracted" and has something "to do" rather than just being overactive and concentrating on itself with an over abundance of antibodies in the basal ganglia.

Right, wrong? I have no idea but that is my 10 cent version.

And if we are dealing with an infection in the brain, doesn't fever fight infection?

Bumping for more responses...

Fever is the body's response to infection. It is one of the ways the body decreases bacterial/viral loads. Many of the children here seem to have poor fever response.

My kiddo, of course, has to be odd man out here. She is much worse with a fever than without. Any infection has caused a tail spin here in the past. Usually fever brings out vocal and some motor tics, plus short patience and increase likelihood of "upsets."

However, we just got over a short bout with a fever of 100.5 with no other medical symptoms, and she did not have + or - behavioural reactions to it. That is another notable improvement for her in my book. She was just extra tired.

Nice mayzoo. DD made it through a fall flu that was going around when children in our area were being affected by EV-D68.

Not sure what it was but she actually developed a nice fever for a day. She was tired and slept a fair bit, but was fine by the next day. She had no symptom flare either during the fever or after.

I take this as another indication that her immune system is finally working more normally.

Edited by rowingmom

It looks like there is some research being done on this. Not sure if it was posted here already or not. If you do a search, I think this was looked at as an anti inflammatory too. Maybe for COPD? Since I follow a lot of the vaccine news where Jenny McCarthy is regularly trashed, I couldn't help but wonder if Johns Hopkins and Harvard hospitals were being influenced by Hollywood nitwits like the rest of us are regularly accused of ^_^

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2014/10/13/broccoli-sprout-extract-may-help-curb-autism-symptoms/

Broccoli Sprout Extract May Help Curb Autism Symptoms

Talalay said the way in which this extract might work in autistic patients has yet to be fully understood, but past research suggests that sulforaphane can cause the body to react as it would to a fever. Since fevers have been associated with a temporary improvement of symptoms in about a third of autism patients, sulforaphane may work in a similar way, according to the study authors.

The findings appear in the October issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Fever therapies have been used for a very long time to treat infection.

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/therapeuticbaths.htm

Over a year ago when our younger son had the flu with persistent fever our LLMD encourage me to wait it out (with close supervision and a reduction in antibiotics) for this very reason. It took over 5 days for our son's fever to break but he had marked improvement in his Lyme system after that point.

Both Lyme and Bartonella have 'difficulties' surviving at temperatures above 102. Lyme dies at a core body temperature of 106.