ACN Latitudes Forums

Talking very loud

Ds, 15, has been dealing off an on with PANDAs for a long time. He was also previously diagnosed with Lyme/Bartonella and took some heavy duty antibiotics. Whether a herx, a symptom of Lyme, or a reaction to the abx, he developed tinnitus which lasted about a year. It has since resolved, but he talks EXTREMELY loudly. He is not aware how loud he is and gets very upset when we tell him to talk softly.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there anything that can be done?

He has never had a hearing test other than the basic tests in school.

Yes! We've had this for periods off and on ourselves. And it's been discussed here on the forum, as well . . . though I'm not sure what you should search under: "loud," maybe?

For our DS, it was one of a few signs (combined with an eczema outbreak, distractibility) that he was flaring. I think it's a processing thing and, interestingly, in most cases, is no reflection of the person's hearing capability. DS and most of the other kids I've heard of with this strange symptom hear just fine . . . they just have some sort of false regulation with respect to their own speaking volume.

While long-term use is not recommended for gut health, the only thing we found that worked for our DS was Pepcid (histamine receptor blocker). I would dose probiotics with it, also, just to ensure gut flora doesn't get unduly disturbed by the Pepcid, but it worked wonders for the eczema and appeared to help the other flare symptoms, as well.

Ds, 15, has been dealing off an on with PANDAs for a long time. He was also previously diagnosed with Lyme/Bartonella and took some heavy duty antibiotics. Whether a herx, a symptom of Lyme, or a reaction to the abx, he developed tinnitus which lasted about a year. It has since resolved, but he talks EXTREMELY loudly. He is not aware how loud he is and gets very upset when we tell him to talk softly.

We have the opposite problem. Our kiddo whispers since onset in 09-2011, that is when she chooses to talk. She goes through 3-4 month jags of not speaking at ALL. She is learning sign language and she writes her questions/comments down instead.

Dd does but only with mood symptoms. I woul have his hearing checked.

Edited by 4nikki