ACN Latitudes Forums

Acupuncture

My son (14) has went for 9 weeks now. He has seen an improvement in the frequency and intensity of his facial tics. A few days ago the tics got worse, I'm trying to figure out why. He says the accupuncture is relaxing and often falls asleep. Immediately after treatment the tics are always worse until the next morning. The clinician says that is very normal. We are going to continue with treatment for awhile more to see what the future results are.

Thanks Crazy (feel kinda bad calling you that..) for your response. I have read about tics getting worse after and that is making me a little nervous but sounds like it doesn't last too long.? Would you mind telling me how long until you noticed it making a difference? Just want to be realistic. Thanks!

My son goes once a week for accupunture. I noticed improvement with the frequency and intensity of the tics during the 2nd week. He goes after school and within an hour the tics flare up and by morning they are calm. He thought I was crazy at first taking him for treatment but now agrees that it helps and does not mind going. When I tried to stretch out the appointments to 1 1/2 weeks I noticed them getting worse again so he is sticking to once a week for now.

Chemar and crazy - did you find the acupuncture helped with all over tics or just facial? I have read it being most effective for facial tics . My dd has neck tics too - they are the most bothersome at the moment for her. Sorry if that is a dumb question - just reading too much I suppose.

It seemed to help my son all round

Our acupuncture therapist does do additional things simultaneously if needed, like reflexology and Chinese cupping, aromatherapy, biofeedback (NOT neurofeedback) etc and so much of that was also helping

But my son felt a calming of tics with that first needle placement in his scalp and then progressively so with each one.

Thanks - I am going to post and see who has experienced a herx. If you know of who I may ask, I would appreciate it. I have done a lot research looking for someone - found a neuro clinic but even they didn't have too much experience with TS or tics. I decided my best bet was with a pediatric acupuncturist. It seems like a TS doc is rare unfortunately.