ACN Latitudes Forums

That dreaded meeting

faith

Hi all,

Well I had that meeting with the school this morning. I only teared up a little at the beginning ;) . I feel alot better about it now. It wasn't so bad, the school psychologist was very nice. I didn't know what to expect, but I think they just wanted to have this meeting to discuss what his issues were and I guess to make sure we were all on the same page, as she put it, about everything. We talked about the tics, and pondered about some comorbid issues he may have (I questioned a little OCD tendencies and a little sensory issues). So, in a nutshell, the teacher didn't feel he needed to be tested for anything right now, since his tics didn't seem to be impacting his learning, and we wouldn't go into talking about a formal 504 plan right now, but we would try some strategies for him such as checklists right now, to help keep him on task.

And surprise --she did think that for next school year, that due to the tic issue, I could request certain accomodations, even without the 504, like the type of teacher that would be suitable for him, preferential seating (which teacher does now) and I suppose little things that would make it easier for him, (and the teachers). So I am grateful that they seemed open to that. I just hope they follow through with it when time comes.

What I decided to give them was a letter from our naturopath basically stating that my son was previously diagnosed with a mild tic disorder and was currently under her care. I also copied pages explaining what naturopathic medicine is and what type of credentials and education naturopathic doctors have, and also one on how naturopaths are lobbying in Washington to be licensed. So I think I got my point across that I was aware of my son's tics and am doing what I can to manage it without having to resort to medications. I think the psychologist had heard of Lattitudes website. Oh yea, I copied that page where Sheila introduces the Tics and Tourettes book and what it contains to show her where I got alot of info. Now they know I am no chump! :lol:

So, I'm thinking now that it's "out there", its a little like a monkey off my back. I pray this never gets any worse than it is right now, but I'm thankful that they really did seem to want to do what they could to help. So thanks again for all your advice and support, it really helped get me through this part.

Faith

Faith,

I am happy that your meeting with the school staffs went well. As mothers with children with special needs, we feel so vulnerable and sometimes insecure. It is comforting to know that people do care about the welfare of our children.

There is a quote that goes something like this, "Identify what you need to do, and you will find a way." I know you will continue to find answers to whatever you're dealing with.

Patty

glad it went well Faith

just do remember that a 504 plan or an IEP is really a very big protection for you and your child as then the school is legally compelled to abide by the accommodations listed........as I discovered, this is really important when you get even just that one teacher or counselor or whatever who maybe doesnt "get it"

we got my son's 504 plan back in elementary and I have insisted on renewing it every year. It even applies if a child changes schools.

Sometimes schools try to steer parents away from getting a 504 or IEP in place, because the schools know that it is legally binding on them and that they HAVE TO comply with it.

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain to get one in place for a student who needs accommodations medically.academically, socially, emotionally.

Just adding this in for your future consideration

it is good that you clearly have a helpful and co-operative group at your school :)

Faith,

That's great! I hope you NEVER have to go through anymore then what you have been through now. I agree with Chemar (you know the squeaky wheel gets the oil).

I'll leave you with what my son's Rel. Ed teacher always tells the kids.

IF WE DON'T ATTEMPT THE RIDICULOUS, GOD WILL NOT DO THE MIRACULOUS.

God Bless,

C.P.

It is my understanding that Tourette Syndrome is an automatic accepted condition for an impairment under Other Heath Impairment which would get a student an IEP. Chemar is right an IEP is a great help with the accommodations page for it could give a student extended time for testing, small group for testing, indidividual setting for testing, extended time to do work, etc...She is also right in that an IEP can protect a child from those school staff members who just don't get it and from students. A teacher can not punish someone for their disabilitiy and in the higher grades a student can be charged with a hate crime for bullying a disabled student which is a big thing for bullying is often ignored in the school system as long as violence does not occur. Also remember with an IEP a student is suppose to get FAPE, Free appropriate public education and that puts power in your hands when it comes to meetings for now you do not always have to be on the defensive but could actually have the ball of power in your court. Why did you remove my child from the class, why did you comment about his handicapping condition in front of other students, etc....also remember you are a member of the IEP team and should have full input in what goes into an IEP. But if anyone here ever goes into an IEP meeting go in as both parents on the same page or with an advocate, it is allowed, so you will not feel as teamed up against which can occur in a hostile school.

just to add that if the child doesnt qualify for an IEP for any reason (which should NOT be the case.....) or if the parent or child would prefer, then a 504 PLAN is very very helpful and carries the same binding legislation as an IEP !

:)

Thanks so much for that advice guys. Now you have got me thinking and wondering. I'm getting the feeling you are thinking it is a good idea to maybe push the envelope with getting the 504? My worry was always that they were going to insist on a whole psych testing and then he'd have all these labels on him. Forgive me for putting it that way, its just I think we are all frightened about how others will perceive our children, in any instance. I know that the tics are a definite issue, although to date it has not been any kind of problem issue for him or the class.

The impression I got was that they wanted to cover the base of implementing the first step of when a teacher is concerned about a health or learning issue for a student, and having the meeting to see what page we were all on concerning it. That was accomplished, for they know I am aware and what I am doing to treat it. And I know they are aware of it. When all was said and done, the psych stated that the teacher didn't feel his "learning" was impacted, for he does seem to hold his own academically, although she agrees he could probably be capable of so much more if he didn't have his lollygagging issue. Now is that "just him" or IS it a comorbid issue, such as OCD,SID or ADD tendency? (I am just wondering-- they probably did too--but for now did not insist on testing (and I was not against it, I asked several times if they thought we should do that). Now I am wondering if possibly the principal was made aware of this forthcoming meeting and advised them on how to handle that aspect of it. The school psychologist and the teacher seemed totally on my son's side, but I do not know this principal (a female) well, but I'm aware that some parents are not total fans (she admonished me once for peeking in the window of my son's first grade class while I was up at the school to attend one of the PTA meetings :) ).

I have been feeling he has been doing so much better, the different tics he has had this school year are definitley on the minimal side as far as I can tell, however the teacher stated during our meeting that the previous day he "exploded" (her words). I was very surprised--is it possible for him to do that in school at a certain time, but I don't see any evidence of that at home? Does anyone feel she may have exagerated for the record? I kind of did, I mean, I feel either he's ticcing alot or not. I don't usually see bouts of heavy and then better the rest of day. Maybe he does get ticcy when she's giving instructions or talking sternly to him, and she perceives that as an explosion. (Remember what we were saying on another thread, about it depending on what one considers "severe" (as in tics)...)

So far, I was going to devise a letter stating the type of teacher I feel would be suitable for him due to his tic disorder, and was pondering about asking for him to be paired with a couple of his current buddies (as well as as many from his previous class as possible, since they are already "used" to him, along with maybe not being in a class with a so-so friend of his who he does not always see eye to eye with. Are you guys feeling they might like to have the ball on this so they can do things "their" way if they want? It really is a very good school, however, I do get the impression that the consensus among parents is that they are not very what we call "parent friendly". They kind of like the parents to offer their services and money, and then leave the rest to them. ^_^

I always ask the Lord to "show me the way", so I think I have to pay attention to what is before me right now. If this is the path I should take, I'm thinking maybe I should listen to that "squeaky wheel"............................................... I just don't even know how I would go about this, so any directions for this zombie would be appreciated. Thank you all so much for your caring, it means the world, and this advice is also great for others who may have to go down this route too.

Faith

P.S. I remember a while back, there was a topic post about 504 being approved

for TS, I think, but couldn't seem to find it? I think it may have been Chemar's

post? I'd like to peruse that.

Hi Faith,

I can't remember if you told us if your son goes to a public or private school? I remember talking to a friend of mine last year when it was our first year in public school. I was worried about everything. She told me that around here the teachers are afraid of the parents.

I did get the same answers you did about my son not needing an IEP, I made many calls to the parent resource center to get a lot of advice. I only decided not to push it because my son handles thing very well. He is very bright and can put most thing in the right prespective. I do believe I would demand an IEP if I noticed thing were not going well emotionally. I do believe his father has a lot to do with his attitude He sees how well his dad has out grown TS, and all the sports his dad plays. I think he looks up to his father and wants to be just like him. Thank goodness he does not want to be like his worry wart mother. :)[Emoticons]

Good luck

C.P.

:)

Thanks so much for that advice guys. Now you have got me thinking and wondering. I'm getting the feeling you are thinking it is a good idea to maybe push the envelope with getting the 504? My worry was always that they were going to insist on a whole psych testing and then he'd have all these labels on him. Forgive me for putting it that way, its just I think we are all frightened about how others will perceive our children, in any instance. I know that the tics are a definite issue, although to date it has not been any kind of problem issue for him or the class.

The impression I got was that they wanted to cover the base of implementing the first step of when a teacher is concerned about a health or learning issue for a student, and having the meeting to see what page we were all on concerning it. That was accomplished, for they know I am aware and what I am doing to treat it. And I know they are aware of it. When all was said and done, the psych stated that the teacher didn't feel his "learning" was impacted, for he does seem to hold his own academically, although she agrees he could probably be capable of so much more if he didn't have his lollygagging issue. Now is that "just him" or IS it a comorbid issue, such as OCD,SID or ADD tendency? (I am just wondering-- they probably did too--but for now did not insist on testing (and I was not against it, I asked several times if they thought we should do that). Now I am wondering if possibly the principal was made aware of this forthcoming meeting and advised them on how to handle that aspect of it. The school psychologist and the teacher seemed totally on my son's side, but I do not know this principal (a female) well, but I'm aware that some parents are not total fans (she admonished me once for peeking in the window of my son's first grade class while I was up at the school to attend one of the PTA meetings :) ).

I have been feeling he has been doing so much better, the different tics he has had this school year are definitley on the minimal side as far as I can tell, however the teacher stated during our meeting that the previous day he "exploded" (her words). I was very surprised--is it possible for him to do that in school at a certain time, but I don't see any evidence of that at home? Does anyone feel she may have exagerated for the record? I kind of did, I mean, I feel either he's ticcing alot or not. I don't usually see bouts of heavy and then better the rest of day. Maybe he does get ticcy when she's giving instructions or talking sternly to him, and she perceives that as an explosion. (Remember what we were saying on another thread, about it depending on what one considers "severe" (as in tics)...)

So far, I was going to devise a letter stating the type of teacher I feel would be suitable for him due to his tic disorder, and was pondering about asking for him to be paired with a couple of his current buddies (as well as as many from his previous class as possible, since they are already "used" to him, along with maybe not being in a class with a so-so friend of his who he does not always see eye to eye with. Are you guys feeling they might like to have the ball on this so they can do things "their" way if they want? It really is a very good school, however, I do get the impression that the consensus among parents is that they are not very what we call "parent friendly". They kind of like the parents to offer their services and money, and then leave the rest to them. ^_^

I always ask the Lord to "show me the way", so I think I have to pay attention to what is before me right now. If this is the path I should take, I'm thinking maybe I should listen to that "squeaky wheel"............................................... I just don't even know how I would go about this, so any directions for this zombie would be appreciated. Thank you all so much for your caring, it means the world, and this advice is also great for others who may have to go down this route too.

Faith

P.S. I remember a while back, there was a topic post about 504 being approved

for TS, I think, but couldn't seem to find it? I think it may have been Chemar's

post? I'd like to peruse that.

Regarding an IEP

No testing can be done without your written approval. There would have to be a formal meeting to get your approval on legal document forms. A child can be given OHI status in Florida and it should be the same around the nation with Tourettes with a doctors note or if your home district has a form for the doctor to fill out and then present that information at an IEP meeting. If you feel you do not need it fine. But it does give the parents more power if they know how to use it to protect thier kids at school. IEP's can stay in place with OHI status all the way thru a child's college education under disabilities acts. An IEP is special education status and of course that status should be in the least restrictive environment which is the regular education classroom. A 504 would not get the same special education status and comes from the regular education department. However, a student can get the same accommodations on the 504 as the IEP.

"brightness" has nothing to do with needing an IEP or plan 504

my son is a straight A student on the high honor role and with multiple extra curricular achievements including debate team

most people with Tourette Syndrome have extraordinarily high IQ and abilities

After personal experience in both private and public schools where, nomatter how helpful and kind they are, there are occasions when you bump up against either a teacher, or some other situation where having legislation backing you up in the form of an IEP or a 504 plan is essential to obtain what is needed to accomodate your child. This extends all the way thru SAT tests in highschool where a child with tics could get thrown out of the room for making noises when having vocal tics for example, unless they had the backup of one of those

An IEP is an Individualised Education Plan and pertains mainly to academics whereas the 504 plan caters more to things like accomodations needed for special circumstances, which includes tics.

here is the link to the article about the legislation enforcing "Other Health Impaired" status on the Tourette Syndrome Association webpage

http://www.tsa-usa.org/news/TOURETTEOHI0806.htm

Okay, I think I know what I'm going to do. Tell me if this sounds good.

I'm going to make a call back to the school psychologist thanking her for the meeting and her input, and will tell her I'm going to send a letter requesting any considerations, i.e. type of teacher, etc., as she suggested I could do (although didn't confirm it would be definite), and any other suggestions she may have. I'll be comfortable with this as she seemed a lovely girl. In that letter, I'm going to refer to the meeting and the suggestions of the psych and express my hope that these will be honored. I am also going to subtley allude to the fact that I am going to see how things go and if my son's issue becomes problematic, then I will go forth and request formal diagnosis (and testing if necessary) with the intention of obtaining the 504 plan for him. I think that will put at least the paddle in my hand for now, and hopefully at least the school (principal) will know I am aware of my options. This way, I will have time to see how things go for him for now, but have the bases covered should I decide it is the necessary way to go for next year. Does this take a long time to put in place, or is it a fairly quick procedure?

C.P. yes, this is a public school, and I wish I could say the same thing about teachers being afraid of the parents, but I think its way the opposite--principal always backs up the teachers. I get the impression they want to keep school in the top percentage academically, and don't like it when any student does not fit the ideal--seems like they bug every other parent about the child's shortcomings.

Cheri and Andy - thanks, tho may I ask what plan your kids have, the IEP or 504? And how is everything presently going? Are tics much better now?

Thanks again

Faith

Faith,

Oh I see... Well then... I hope the paddle that is in your hand has some holes in it (stings more) :)

I think thats a great idea. gives you awhile to get all your ducks in a row.

And I like the fact you are telling them, that you will be taking steps as needed.

(letting them know you're not going away)

C.P.