ACN Latitudes Forums

CBD oil decisions

As I read through past posts, I see members have tried CBD from RSHO, Bluebird Botanicals, Cibdex, Hempmedspx, and private sources. I see the Bluebird Botanicals has 4 varieties... It's hard to sort it all out. One of our doctors says go ahead and try it, but did not direct specifics.

Can any of you tell me what you are currently using as your source of CBD, what "kind" you are using, how you are administering it, how you are starting with the dose, and how it is impacting your child?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SHARING!

We were using bluebird 500mg at 15 drops twice a day. Then I bought Cibex 500mg and we used 2 squirts twice a day. They seemed comparable in effects to me, but I was not using it. Kiddo is verbally delayed, so hard to get clear answers on that level.

Edited by mayzoo

We were also using Bluebird CBD Oil 250mg, 10 drops 1-2x day for ds15 for about 2 weeks without much change. We were trying to address tics and anxiety. However, I feel our other PANS supplements, abx and general inflammation reduction protocol have helped most w/tics (almost absent now after 7 mos. treatment) and OCD (which was minimal and not debilitating). Anxiety still very high but he is also borderline ID so difficult to get him to tell us if the supplement helped or not.

Anyone else out there currently or recently using CBD?

Momslove, I am in a similar positon...glad you asked the questions. I would like to trial over Christmas break. Our Neuro has suggested Marinol for several years to help with tics. He has said he has seen it be has a life changing drug for some of his patients. I have been reluctant due to side effect of increasing appetitie. My son is husky, poor diet, all carbs, high fat. Not obese but could "get there" easily if anything stimulated his appetite which I am relauctant to do with Marinol.

His OCD prevents me from making much headway to introduce a cleaner diet. At 14, it is difficult to force a child to eat what he won't even try or put in his mouth. Or, spits out as soon as he tries with coaxing and encouragement. Just not a battle I am willing to have daily. Like trying to teach a pig to sing. However, I do worry about the long term ramifications of his diet on his health and body. Needless to say, how his diet must contribute to his tics!! He is basically healthy. Seldom sick. Which, suprises me considering his diet. It is absolutley horrible what he eats, in my opinion. And, to make matters worse the rest of the family eats very well and healthy by most anyone's standards. I cook from scratch and he eats a processed, junk existance. Separate, different food from the rest of the family on many occassions. I do provide him with a few different multivitamin supplements as I know his diet is inadequate for correct vitmains, minerals etc. We all know, diet is far superior to get necessary nutrients than a pill but that's the hand I have been dealt.

He actually ate everything up until about age 6 then has slowly over years has gotten down in his diet to 10-12 things he eats regularly. Very little of it it is healthy by my standard with no veggies or fruits. I am imterested in the paste I have seen in past CBD posts. I think he would tolerate this better hidden in food. Have read from others it is not as messy as oil and delivery just seems easier. How is this dispensed for dosage?? I have seen posted as the size of rice pellet for administration etc. Which company sells the paste of do all of them? My son is about 165 lbs.

As with momslove I am very interested in replies! Thanks, in advance!

911RN

I will try to find the article in a bit, but I just read yesterday that CBD oil reduces appitite whereas THC increases appitite.

ETA:

"Cannabidiol is even known to counteract some of the effects of THC like the “munchies.” Just as THC increases our appetite, CBD suppresses it, which could be ideal for patients watching their figure. CBD just might be a key ingredient in a future weight loss drug, who knows?

There is one exception to the theory that CBD suppresses appetite, but it is a blessing as well. Many people who have difficulty eating due to their stress or anxiety can use CBD to get rid of that sick feeling in their chest or stomach, allowing them to eat again once their anxiety subsides."

http://www.medicaljane.com/2012/12/20/cannabidiol-cbd-medicine-of-the-future/#

Edited by mayzoo

To any of you who have used this--Did you tell your child?

Our DD has complied with medications over the years, but I think she would "freak out" if she knew we were giving her this "drug". (Haven't yet, but thinking ahead.)

Any other input on type or brand or impact for your child?

We tried the Bluebird Botanicals CBD oil for a short trial. First, DH and I took what Bluebird recommended as a starting "adult" dose . . . I want to say about 11 drops, on the tongue, held in the mouth for several seconds, and then swallowed. I wanted to know what we might be subjecting DS to before actually giving it to him.

DH and I definitely felt some "calming" effects; I've never smoked pot, but DH, via some "experimentation" in his college years, recognized the feeling as not too dissimilar from the light buzz he used to get from that. I felt more relaxed (a little less "Type A" ;) ), and a little "fuzzy."

The first time DS tried it, in the same dosage, he was home for a long weekend with a relatively light homework load. He initially reported that he felt that it helped his focus and concentration, but his homework progress over that weekend didn't entirely bear that out. He did not report any specific lessening of anxiety or OCD, nor did we bear witness to that in terms of his behavior. He tried it just once more, on a day at home, when he was feeling overwhelmed. Again, it didn't seem to have any tangible effect, and after that, he declined it based on its taste. If the impacts had been definitively more positive for him, I think he would've dealt with the taste issue, but lacking that, he decided the trade-off wasn't worth it. And since we had no evidence that it had been especially good for him, we didn't press the issue.

That was our experience, for what it's worth.

To any of you who have used this--Did you tell your child?

Our DD has complied with medications over the years, but I think she would "freak out" if she knew we were giving her this "drug". (Haven't yet, but thinking ahead.)

Any other input on type or brand or impact for your child?

The version we give to our child is not based on anything classified as an illicit "drug". It is CBD oil derived from HEMP, not marijuana. Hemp is not classified as a "drug" and is so low in THC it has no psychoactive properties that I am aware of.

My daughter is very delayed and has no tangible idea what "drugs" are, so converying this to her would be meaningless.

Edited by mayzoo

Just to clarify in case I was misunderstood, :unsure: I totally support steps to health. I didn't mean to suggest that I see CBD as an illicit drug, but I know my daughter would be aware of the connection and SHE would have a problem and this could become an OCD obstacle. Some others have a problem with it too. DH asked our mental health provider about it. She scoffed that they treat people for addiction, they don't prescribe it...

Just to clarify in case I was misunderstood, :unsure: I totally support steps to health. I didn't mean to suggest that I see CBD as an illicit drug, but I know my daughter would be aware of the connection and SHE would have a problem and this could become an OCD obstacle. Some others have a problem with it too. DH asked our mental health provider about it. She scoffed that they treat people for addiction, they don't prescribe it...

I thought our DS would have an OCD-related objection (scrupulosity) to it as well, but he didn't. Maybe because he's fairly well tuned-in and knows about recent marijuana legislation in Washington and Colorado. Or maybe because he's well enough now that he trusts his parents and knows we wouldn't give him anything illicit. The Bluebird Botanicals is also, for all practical purposes, THC-free; it is the cannaboid oil that has the anti-anxiety properties.

Your comments regarding your psych struck me, because we just had a psych appointment last week and talked a bit about CBD oil with her. She's very curious and reads most of the latest research, which is one reason we picked her. She basically said that she wouldn't rule anything out, and that if a person were struggling and none of the "standard" treatments worked well for them, she'd support someone's use of something like CBD.

We tried CBD for DS16 last March 30. I put 25 drops of bluebird botanicals (CBD hemp Oil) into a capsule and gave it with the AM and PM pills. We didn't see anything until April 2 (2 days later) when he had a HUGE break through and started to really improve. Since then we recently switched to RSHO gold from HempMedX to see if it would help get us a bit further along (DS still struggles with OCD). We haven't noticed much improvement except it's much neater and maybe a little more helpful. We are using the length of the capsule. Since it's digested we started higher.

We printed the FAQ from bluebird and discussed it. He does refer to it as his marijuana pill, but knows it's completely legal. I tried to get him to use the e-cigarette that they recommend on bluebirds but that was too much.

Weight: interesting about appetite. Can you post the link to the article? DS16 definitely eats less nowadays (he has restrictive food issues).

T.Anna

• 3 years later...