ACN Latitudes Forums

L-carnitine or acetyl-L-carnitine

Irena

Irena,

I use both Acetyl-L-Carnitine and L-Carnitine. I take Acetyl-L-Carnitine in the morning and the L-Carnitine in the evening. Neither cause any negative effects for me.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Do you take the Carnitine because you had tests that show you needed it?

How long have you been taking it?

I ask because I'm hoping my son will do ok on it because his profile has carnitine down to help with the Fatty acid oxidation. What I mean is, I'm going to try carnitine because it will be helpful for something. Not because I want to take a chance on carnitine to reduce vocal tics. (hoping no negitive reactions if his body could use it)

If that makes sense.

Thanks C.P.

Thank you,

Yesterday I stoppped giving acetyl-L-carnitine (after two days) as he had noticeable increase in tics (today they got back to normal, rather minimal, hardly noticeable level). I can't think of any other tic trigger so most probably it was it.

Maybe I will try L-carnitine (not ALC). His vocal tics aren't big problems, practically not noticeable to others. They are sporadical, quit sounds and probably it is only me who takes any notice of them. I really need to change this attitude, this urge to "fix" things. Although I've been much better recently in this regard than before (or is it just that his tics are so much better again?)

Hi C.P.

Yes, I take Carnitine because I had lab tests that showed I needed it. I've been taking the acetyl form for over a year and the the L-Carnitine for about four months.

Carolyn

• 3 weeks later...

Deanna,

Our son's profile has him down to take 400mg and he is 86lb/90lb depending on which scale he stands on.

Recommendations from Metametrix Labs.

I'll be trying it at the end of May or early June.

Good luck please let us know how it worked.

C.P.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried giving my son 250mg of L-Carnitine along with 500mg. vitamin C and had not seen any decrease in his vocal tic. I stopped it a week and a half or so ago and recently I think it has gotten even worse. I don't know if I should try 500mg L-Carnitine or not. It is very frustrating that I can't find anything to help him. Any other thoughts?

Deanna

I am a firm believer in the COMBINATION of needed supps being effective rather than just one supp

it would all depend on whether your child needs and tolerates L carnitine, AND on what other amino acids, vitamins and minerals you are supplementing with, along with dietary intake

Which test is that again? That is, what supplements etc. he needs? I did some testing a while back and was quite overwhelmed and disappointed when we followed what was recommended with no success...IgG, pyroluria (neg) and strep titers...so I took a step back. Now I am ready to hit the pavement again. By the way, he is on Kids Calm, Taurine, Zinc, B6, Inositol. Thanks!