ACN Latitudes Forums

Tic or a tremor? Advice please

Hope2

My son is 8, with mostly mild tics off & on since 4. We can go several months without tics, but never a year. We only saw his pediatrician, who said he thought it was Tourettes, and that he'd likely grow out of it. He gave us a referral to a neurologist, but I didn't go. I (maybe wrongly?) assumed the neuro. would just offer meds, and at this point, I really do not want to try medication. I learned here from Chemar about magnesium, and I think that helped a lot, until recently. He has had seasons of vocal tics, but since starting magnesium supplements a year ago, he has mostly had mild motor tics. He's very smart, and very social, has not struggled with friendships. But recently a boy he was friends with starting acting mean (making fun of him, but not for tics, we don't think at least), and the anxiety brought on a surge of tics. I've upped magnesium, added "tic tamer" this week, but here's my question-- Most of what he's doing now, I'm not sure if it's a tic. He shakes, like he has the shivers--but it's almost tremor-like. His whole upper body shakes in a fine movement, but there isn't repetition to it. It can happen several times in a minute, but unlike his other tics, I can't really count how much he does it, if that makes sense-? I guess I'd also like advice on when do you decide you need to look further--doctors, testing, etc..I know that's a personal decision, but I'd appreciate others' input. So far, I have just used magnesium (and Kids Calm Multi), and his tics had been manageable enough. Before this "shiver" one, he was doing a verbal "heh heh" for a few months. Noticeable enough that a few kids thought he was laughing, but not enough to cause problems. This shiver though seems more extreme than what I've seen in the past.

Edited by hope2

Hi

this really is something you need to discuss with his doctor.

Stress and anxiety are major tic triggers, but whenever there is tremoring or anything that appears more like a seizure than a tic, it is always best to consult with a physician. It may just be a form of tic, so I am not trying to alarm you!

People with TS do not usually have such very long waning periods? so not sure just what is causing your son's tics.

Thank you for your advice--I am planning to ask my son today if it's bothering him, and then proceed. We have been in the habit for the last year of completely ignoring the tics, because when I used to try to talk about them with him, they increased. I would say the longest we go without is maybe 2-3 months, but I stopped keeping a good record, many of his tics over the summer were mild enough that I didn't bother with it.

My son was also adopted, so I do not know if there is a family history of TS, but I do know he was exposed to drugs and smoking in utero.

Chemar--I've seen here some about testing neurotransmitters, which I don't think you did with your son, but do you advise it? He is already a very picky eater, so changing his diet would be traumatic, and I can't imagine how we'd get him to do a blood test of any kind.

Thanks again.

Another question, sorry--I have been reading so much but I can't find a simple answer to this, can food intolerance (not allergy) testing be done with urine samples only? One reason I have put off testing is that I know my son will be too anxious for a blood draw. I feel fairly certain it is TS. Definitely not transient, some sort of tics have been present since 4. Today (after my post above) he told me 2 friends made fun of his shrugs at school last week. I haven't tried elimination diets yet either--he LOVES milk, cheese, yogurt--so I know that will be hardest. My son is the sweetest most tender-hearted child I know, and his tics do not bother us (family) or even him--EXCEPT that now friends are teasing--so that is why I am re-looking into finding more help. Thanks.

I'd be very glad to know the answer to this myself as I can't get past my needle phobia!

As regards the other thing, have you asked your son whether the shivering is like his other tics? e.g. whether he can hold it back for a bit if he tries or whether it's involuntary? I know sometimes young kids aren't able to explain these things very precisely (heck, I can't always explain them myself!), but it's worth a try. As Chemar says, if the shivering does seem to be something different from his other tics, it might be worth asking the doctor about it even if it's not bothering your son, just in case it is a symptom of something different that needs seeing to.

wombat140--thanks for replying--this site reminds me of one of the many ways internet is used for "good"--it is SO comforting to feel heard and understood. OK, so the "shiver/shrug" tic has left, lasted about 2 weeks, now he's back to the "heh heh" some times, and a head tilt--just noticed it at his baseball game last night.

I had wanted to see Dr. Corbier (mentioned on this site), but he is changing his practice & requires a neurologist to diagnose before treating nutritionally. So I went to the pediatrician for a referral for a neuro (he gave me a referral 2 yrs ago but I didn't go & don't remember the name). BUT, Dr office still hasn't called back from Monday. So I called Dr. O'Connor (also found on this site), and decided maybe we'll pursue environmental/food triggers since I haven't yet. That appt. is next week.

I do know that the drug birth mom was taking while pregnant (in additional to alcohol & cig.) was benzodiazapine--so I am curious what led to the "need" for it--perhaps tics (I've read it's sometimes used) or anxiety.

OH--and as far as the allergy testing, it sounds like both allergens and in-tolerances can be skin-prick tests, though I'm not 100% sure yet, and not sure that a prick would be better than drawing blood on my son!

There are alternative non invasive forms of allergy testing like the ELISA and NAET systems

Mixed reviews but when we had a similar form of radiogenics, and then followed up with blood tests, it was amazing how well they matched up!