ACN Latitudes Forums

Question for the Yeast Experts

Dedee

Well this all started when I started researching probiotics to give my son with PANDAS. I decided that I should also get some for my three year old daughter who is on daily antibiotics for kidney refulx which used to cause her to have frequent kidney infections before the antibiotics. (She should grow out of this in a couple of years). Then I thought that maybe I should also start her on something for her yeast, because I have made several phone calls to her pediatrician over the last six months for thrush and a yeasty bottom. She is constantly complaining that her bottom hurts and we have started keeping Nystatin ointment all the time which gives temporary relief.

She got an ear infection last week and after the second day on Zithromax I had to call for diflucan because she was screaming in the bath tub because it hurt to sit in the water. So, I guess you can see why I would like to try to get some kind of natural preventative treatment for her. I have started the probiotics, but she is only three and very particular about what she thinks might be in her drink. I have to sneak anything in her milk so it needs to be liquid or dissolve easily. Does anyone have any suggesions of what would be effective. I have not said much to her doctor as she usually suggests the usual of cotton panties, keeping her dry, etc. I have done all that a long time ago.

I realize this isn't the usual questions for this forum, but I know how knowledgable everyone here is on supplements and I fear that this yeast issue is causing other behavioral issues with her and I would like to clear this up ASAP. We can't use difulcan forever.

I appreciate opinions- Dedee

Hello Dedee,

I'm no yeast expert, but I think I have a few suggestions. When you say your daughter has yeast, the way you describe, are you referring to gut yeast or vaginal yeast infection due to the antibiotics? If it is the latter, the obvious is to give lots of yogurt if she likes that (the kind with live cultures). As far as giving the probiotic in powder form, the easier way is to open capsule onto a spoonful of apple sauce and hide it in there. That's how I give my son capsule form supplements when he doesn't want to swallow it. Then wash down with any drink. Another thing (again if it is yeast infection type thing) I remember when I have had that it was usually due to that area being too alkaline (for me), so of course I used a feminine product with vinegar and water ;) , but you can't do that so I would just add some white vinegar to the bath water, maybe a half cup. It's diluted, so it won't burn. Now that's just my experience, but I think it can't hurt. The idea is to have the proper PH balance in the vag environment. IF that's what we're talking about. If not, sorry -- but the yogurt and the way to give the probiotic still goes.

Faith

When one of my younger kids was on antibiotics for an infection, I tried a kids probiotic and it just clumped in his bottle - and he would not drink it. I then tried opening a capsule - adult one - that my 6 year old (at the time) was taking, and sprinkled a little into the little one's bottle and it just dissolved and he drank it no problem.

I have tried the chewy ones once and my older son loved them - but we stick with the adult capsules that he swallows.

Good Luck.

Well this all started when I started researching probiotics to give my son with PANDAS. I decided that I should also get some for my three year old daughter who is on daily antibiotics for kidney refulx which used to cause her to have frequent kidney infections before the antibiotics. (She should grow out of this in a couple of years). Then I thought that maybe I should also start her on something for her yeast, because I have made several phone calls to her pediatrician over the last six months for thrush and a yeasty bottom. She is constantly complaining that her bottom hurts and we have started keeping Nystatin ointment all the time which gives temporary relief.

She got an ear infection last week and after the second day on Zithromax I had to call for diflucan because she was screaming in the bath tub because it hurt to sit in the water. So, I guess you can see why I would like to try to get some kind of natural preventative treatment for her. I have started the probiotics, but she is only three and very particular about what she thinks might be in her drink. I have to sneak anything in her milk so it needs to be liquid or dissolve easily. Does anyone have any suggesions of what would be effective. I have not said much to her doctor as she usually suggests the usual of cotton panties, keeping her dry, etc. I have done all that a long time ago.

I realize this isn't the usual questions for this forum, but I know how knowledgable everyone here is on supplements and I fear that this yeast issue is causing other behavioral issues with her and I would like to clear this up ASAP. We can't use difulcan forever.

I appreciate opinions- Dedee

Dear Dedee,

I, too, have that same problem with my daughter. Well, I think it is the same. Does your daughter complain of itching?

Does her problem come and go and sometimes wake her up at night?

I have had my daughter to the pediatrician who couldn't diagnose her and I called my gyn who also couldn't diagnose it. I was given nystatin to try to relieve the symptoms but my daughter says it doesn't work.

How do probiotics work for that and for the ticcing? (my son tics).

Thanks,

Loren

Loren & Dedee

when a "yeast" infection occurs in either the mouth, gut, genitals etc...it signifies an overgrowth of Candida albicans.

it often occurs after antibiotic use as the antibiotics kill off all the good microbes (aka flora) and so, the conditions are fertile for yeast infection

a good probiotic (I still like kefir and live culture yoghurts best) restores the good flora and this in turn, along with dietary modifications and natural yeast busters like candida clear by NOW and Threelac, or(as a last resort) drugs like nystatin ..helps to eradicate the yeast

Candida infections are believed to be at the root of many of the ilnesses and ailments that plague our modern day society, with the overuse of antibiotics and the ingestion of a very poor diet, loaded with the sugars and starches (and alcohol) that candida thrives on

Thank you all for your reply. I have had the same issues with some of the probiotic powder clumping in her milk. I finally found one that doesn't, but I like the idea of opening the capsule that my son uses. That way I wouldn't need to buy two different kind. I would like to add something additional because she is so susceptible to yeast. Chemar, do you know if Treelac comes in a liquid form? I have read alot about yeast recently in my quest to rid my daughter of it, and I agree with what you said. I just seem to be having a hard time getting ahead of it in this situation. Thanks for everyones input.

Dedee

Chemar,

Did you read that book? If so does it have Interstitial Cystitis (IC) or Cytolytic Vaginosis (CV) in it?

I have heard of children getting IC and it is sometimes mis-diagnosed as kidney reflux, and some IC patients feel they have a cronic yeast infection. I believe IC does not respond to antibiotics, not positive though.

CV is often confused with yeast infections, but I don't remember if children can get CV.

I just wanted to mention those. You never know how or why God puts people together.

I have a friend who has IC and she just found out her ex-husband's wife has it. It is rare and most Dr. don't know what it is.

C.P.