ACN Latitudes Forums

Back to school

dasu

The kids (5&7) are home schooled but do a co-op. The first day of co-op was last week and we have noticed an increase in 5yo daughters hyperactivity and a vocal tic (constantly makes slurpy tooting noises with her mouth). Its been a great summer after a flare that came on for both kids in late winter/early spring. This may just be coincidental, but its quite frustrating as the kids enjoy school and other events with friends from co-op. So here is the question - whats driving the tics and hyperactivity? Is it an infection or sympathetic reaction to other kids strep? A number of families have been battling recurring strep through the summer.

Edited by dasu

Are the kids on a prophylactic antibiotic?

Yes, could very well be a reaction to being around another carrier/ infected person.

This is the very difficult thing about this, having them live life and grow/experience (which they very much need) yet carrying this illness/ immune system.

Trying to build my dd's immune system w/ all the usual stuff (vit. C, vit. D, etc.) tried goat colostrum, big no, threw the bottle away, next trying beta glucans.

But I feel 'better' this year at least she's back on an antibx in case. Last year she wasn't, and reacted to her sister bringing home school illness.

They were on prophylatic penicillin but we switched out for 2x daily olive leaf oil, oregano oil, and elderberry. They both had their tonsils removed and the doctor claimed that once removed we should be able to go off penicillin. They also take tumeric and quercetin as anti-inflammatories.

I really want to find a group of kids whose parents are committed to keeping them healthy over in activities etc. As I mentioned earlier the co-op they are seems to have a lot of strep going around. In fact Dr L has noted that she sees a lot of patients from Charlottesville. Many of the activities in the co-op utilize shared toys and tools.

Edited by dasu

In our area, the Park and Rec department offer lots of various classes for that age group- art, fun math, gymnastics, etc.

Offered once or twice a week- maybe you could find something like that- might be a cleaner, smaller environment.

That age group is really tough tho will passing sickness- last year my youngest was in first grade (age 6-7 then) cooped up with 30 kids sharing everything, they have no clue about personal space and talk 1 inch from each other's faces, breathing on each other, coughing, etc. She brought home bad infections all last Spring :-/. Had her own rounds of antibiotics for the first time, and it ramped up my PANS dd9. But, prompted us back into treatment.

Azithromycin is considered a good prophylactic with the long 1/2 life, less dosing, theoretically then less stress on gut- and anti inflammatory.

Sounds like you have good supplements in place too.

Edited by sss