ACN Latitudes Forums

Increase in tics during exercise

At first I thought it was because he was outside and that maybe it was allergies but now he has been at gymnastics (indoors) 2x and both times his tics increased.

Right now we are at a very very low level of tics. Vocal are pretty much non existent and motors are so few and far between its like he is tic free. Except when he engages in physical activity like running or gymnastics. Also, when its very hot out (which it is right now) they seem to increase and he is getting over heated easily.

I think there is a connection. What should I be looking into?

I feel like we are so close but missing a component to his path of healing. And of course when I see a tic, my PTSD goes into over drive.

It might be a cleaner that being used in the gym that might be triggering the tics. With exercise, you will also be raising hormone and other brain transmitter levels. Until your son's body adapts to this rise and flow levels it may stimualte his tics. You have introduced a new stimulation to the body and it may just take some time for it to adjust When my son gets tired and over heated his vocal tics can start. My son has had the test for brain neurotransmitters and his dopanine levels run high. High dopamine levels can make tics worse.

Yes, i really feel like this is an adrenaline dopamine thing. Is there anything I can give him (naturally) that could lower the dopamine?

For some reason i think this is just another "phase" that we are going through and that in due time his tics will be heightened by something else other than physical activity.

it weird but over the past 2 years it seems like his tics are triggered by different things at different times. There was a point where he ticced mostly when he was eating, other times when he hungry or tired, other times when he would have screen time. But not all at once, you know what i mean? Right now he is practically tic free (not 100% but not detectable by the average person) except when he does physical activity.

Just plain weird.

I have noticed that in the past as well, with my son tics also increase when he is stressed or nervous, like when he has a test at school, or a presentation in front of a class. His tics also increased when he gets excited and energetic such as playing sports. Usually they drop back to a normal level when he calms down. His tics have been pretty good over the summer when stress levels were low, but now that school is starting they are starting to ramp up again. I have never noticed that heat increases tics though unless it is just associated with seasonal allergies.

Hi Cara,

If my memory is working right, I believe if you raise serotinon levels you can lower the dopamine levels. There are several foods that are high in Serotinon. Turkey and dark chocolate will help but I can't remember the rest of the list. Check online for the list. There are some specific amino acids that also help raise up serotinon levels. I think they are GABA, L-Taurine, and L-thinaine. I'm not sure but check on P5P, this is the active form of B6.

My son's tics always increase whenever anything affects either his serotonin (exercise & sunlight increase serotonin) OR his dopamine. While my understanding is that dopamine is involved in ticcing, because hormones work on a feedback mechanism, with serotonin and dopamine being closely connected, they directly affect each other's levels in the endocrine system. I figured rises in serotonin probably cause his dopamine to fluctuate while the body adjusts its "setting". So I think it's not just increased dopamine, but the up & down fluctuations of adjustments that cause it.